Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eng65 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Police matter
    If it is believed that a social worker has committed a criminal offence against a client, is the social workers employer under obligation to report this matter to the Police?

If the social workers employer does not report this to the Police, is that "Concealing an arrestable offence”

Thank you for your help
    Eng65
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Normally yes, but then all of these are state laws, Also what the offense is, and who and how they know about it.

So it is easy to say it is, but proving it, and if the courts will do anything about it, is another issue.

Mar 17, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Sorry I am from the UK forgot to mention.
    Eng65
    rlrl Posts: 44, Reputation: 4

Mar 18, 2008, 02:41 PM
    If the social worker has a license the employer could go to the licensing board and report it. The board could then investigate it and decide if the conduct was violative of any social work laws or criminal laws. If it's criminal they can go to law enforcement or the DA. If it's more an internal social work violation they can move toward disciplinary action
    rlrl Posts: 44, Reputation: 4

Mar 18, 2008, 02:43 PM
    If someone else reports it before the employer to the sw boards and they do an investigation and it's determined that the employer should have reported it and knew of it, the employer can be sanctioned

Mar 19, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Reply from the Local Authority Complaints Manager
    UK

I have been helping my partner with her complaint to an incident that happened some years back. What happened resulted in my partner losing her child to adoption. She has another child who is now 20 and was in care. An incident happened at the home of her daughters foster parents and my partner was assaulted. I have been trying to prove that the social workers cause harm which led to her son's removal.

At the present time the complaint has gone through a stage two of the Local Authority complaints process. We are now waiting for it to be taken to stage three.
    My Partners daughter has now become involved, and she knows what really happened and that the social workers are lying. When I told the complaint manager my partner's daughter wants to be present at the stage three I received this reply.

Reply from the Local Authority Complaints Manager

I have spoken to the Chair who would like some more information about why you would want (daughter) to be present.
    Complainants can bring someone with them to act as an advocate and represent them if need be, but I imagine that you will be fulfilling that role. It is about whether (Mother) wants (daughter) at the panel and for what purpose, rather than (daughter) just wanting to be there.

The role of the panel is not to reinvestigate the complaint but to review what has gone on at stage 1 and stage 2. The Panel will only hear from you in relation to the four complaints as listed in your statement of complaint made to the IO, Officer. They will not listen to any new representations that are not specific to those four complaints which are about (Mother) visit to (Foster Carers Home). (Daughter) would not be able to speak about any issues other than this. The Chair has asked me to point out that having three people inputting information can be both confusing and disruptive and ultimately counter-productive for the complainant.
    I'd be grateful if you could provide me with some more information Might you consider bringing your mental health nurse, if she is willing to attend? She wouldn't be able to participate in the discussion but she might provide useful additional support for you

I'd be grateful if you could provide me with some more information.

They are very nervous about her daughter being present at the meeting. What is the best way forward, Should my partner's complaint be looked at again with the evidence of her daughter? Should I bring the Police in to it?

Thank you

Eng65
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 05:53 PM
    It sounds like they want mother to give a reason why she requests her daughter there.

Also daughter will only be allowed to say what happened in the 4 complaints the court has already gone over. Meaning that if daughter wants to bring up a fifth topic then she will not be allowed to.

Mar 20, 2008, 04:26 PM
    This does not relate to a Court procedure, this is about a Local Authority complaints prceedure. The removal of my partners child the way it happened was... I cannot say here. Now her daughter can tell the truth, because she know the truth and this will prove how dishonest low lifes some social workers are.
    Eng65
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 04:31 PM
    I understand what you are saying but if what she has to say is not covered under one of the four points then they do not want to hear it. They only want to discuss the 4 issues.
    She needs to find a way to make what she has to say fit in the categories they want to discuss. Otherwise they do not want to hear from her, (at least not at this point.)
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
    It appears that what they are saying is that all evidence was to be presented during phase one and or two, and that his hearing merely reviews that evidence.

That just appears to be what they are saying.

I will assume you have no attorney doing this, which means that basically you have little chance, since they will not rule against thierself unless forced to.

Also how old is this event ? For criminal and even civil there are statue of limitatoin for many crimes and civil

And to be honest if you can't provide more detail, it is hard to tell you more

Mar 20, 2008, 05:15 PM
    I can see you understand what I am saying however my partners daughter has evidence which changes the facts completely. It proves the social workers are lying through their teeth. I undersatnd they probably would not want to listen to her daughter, because it would prove that her mother was deliberately caused harm. This is in the publics interest, and so I need to know what would be the best way forward with this. If what they did make it a criminal offence, then even they are not above the law? Or do they think the are?

Thank you
    Eng65
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 05:17 PM
    You will have to talk to a lawyer because they are in review and do not want more 'discovery'
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Well I personally would take her with me, but that is just me, but then Iwould not be there without an attorney either

Mar 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
    This is an argument about right and wrong and as well what is in the publics interest. If the social workers are not made accountable for what they have done, then this leaves the public at risk. This does not however rule out the possibility that other members of the public have suffered because of their dishonesty in the past. To ignore information which turns this situation on it's head would be outrageous

Eng65
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 05:41 PM
    The last sentence in the letter says I'd be grateful if you could provide me with some more information. So I guess the best thing to do is answer them with why you want her there and what she can add.

Mar 20, 2008, 05:56 PM
    I will just take her there as F_CHUCK has mention. If you would like a PM of the situation I will provide it name omitted of course.

I am very grateful for your help with this. I do not want them to get away with what they did, because this will just give a green light for further abuse of others.

Regards,

Thank you
    Eng65
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
    But not the advice on the attorney? Which was he most important.

I would record the meeting, or ask to have it recorded, esp if they deny daughter to speak.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:23 PM
    If you do not reply to them I would say there is a good chance that they will not allow her to speak at all.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 05:17 AM
    What I am trying to tell you is the letter specifically said not to just take her without responding to the letter. If she just shows up they most likely will not let her say anything and if you insist on her saying what she knows and it is not in relation to the 4 items it would create confusion which is what they said they do not want. Then they could possibly get you for contempt or something. You are better off sending the letter explaining what she knows and then they can determine what she can and can not say.
    Then if it doesn't go your way then you appeal with the fact that you have evidence that was not presented before.

Mar 21, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Hi,

I have now sent the Complaints Manager a reply

Daughter would like to attend the panel meeting as she has information that relates to some of the complaints. She would not be present to speak about any issues that are not specific to what's in question.

They obviously do not want her at this meeting so they might refuse her attending. Once she is there well...

Eng65

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

Department manager with Sports authority [ 1 Answers ]

How much per year would a hardlines manager make with Sports Authority?

View more questions Search