Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmariehow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 04:30 PM
    401 k tax penalty
    I am 43 years old. In 2007 I took a hardship & removed $20,000 from my 401k. $2.000.00 was taken for taxes. I applied the rest in the purchase of my first new home. Now that it is time to file for tax season, will I have to pay taxes on the $18,000 that I used as a downpayment on a home loan? Does the IRS take in account that it was used to purchase a home?
    jpsrao Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
    I have the same question. Can some one answer in clear
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 08:35 PM
    You will have to pay taxes on the full $20K. You will also have to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty, which is another $2K. The fact that you used the money to purchase a home does not mean you get the money tax free, and because you are under 59-1/2 you also have the early withdrawal penalty. There is often confusion on this point - if you had taken the money from an IRA you would not have the penalty, as a first home purchase is an allowable exception to having to pay the penalty. But for early withdrawals from a 401(k) the 10% penalty still applies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k tax and penalty [ 2 Answers ]

An associate of mine has a 401k and wants to invest some of it in an annuity, Will it be taxed or penalized if it goes straight in there ? Thank you for any help

401 K cash in.Penalty? [ 1 Answers ]

My 401 K is ready for rollover. I am currently unemployed and need cash ASAP to pay mortgage, credit card debt, utilities, etc. Can I cash it in without paying any penalties for early withdrawl? I do not plan on rolling it over. I am 58 years old and live in New Hampshire. Thank you.

Tax Penalty on 401K [ 5 Answers ]

I am just divorced and am receiving 401K in a large sum. If I stay below $125,000 gross income will I stay at 25% tax penalty.

401 k early withdrawal penalty - first time home purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I took out a portion of my 401k to go towards the purchase of a new home. Although this is my first purchase, I did put my name on refinance paper when my husband and I decided to refinance his home 2 years ago (he purchased before we met). Since I put my name on the refinance papers is that...

401K penalty tax [ 2 Answers ]

I withdrew 35,676.09 from 401K with 7,135.21 federal tax with held. Can you tell me how much more I will have to be paid from this amount when taxes are done this year. This withdrawal was done in 2006.

View more questions Search