Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingermyr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Right shoulder blade pain
    Hi, Its been 2 days now that I've been feeling a bit of pain on my right shoulder blade when I breath deelply (close to the spine), and it only hurts when breathing deeply. Might it just be a muscular thing? Thanks!
    bodyinbalancemn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2011, 08:07 PM
    Sounds likely. I am not a Dr. and not qualified to make a judgement about your health specifically but I can tell you non-specific pain in this area is a common result of desk work, cell phone use, reading with the head bent forward and other repetitive daily activities. I see it all the time in my orthopedic massage practice. Are your shoulders rounded forward? Do you spend a lot of time at a desk with your head and neck forward? Over time rounded shoulders can cause spasms and muscle/tendon strain in the posterior shoulder muscles between the shoulder blades. Longstanding malfunction (overstretching) of theses muscles will cause the deeper layers of muscles involved with breathing to be affected as well. I see clients complain of similar symptoms which can be resolved with effective structural massage on the opposing muscle groups (chest and anterior neck) followed by cross fiber friction and trigger point work or mayofascial release in your posterior shoulder (upper back area). It is important that you see a massage therapist that understands the importance of addressing the root cause (shortened pectoralis and anterior neck muscles) before doing any work directly on the area where you have pain (your upper back near your spine and shoulder blade). I would look for a therapist trained in Myofascial Release or Neuromuscular Therapy in your area. OR, try stretching your pecs and biceps.

Katrina Koller, CMT
    Orthopedic Massage Therapist

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoulder Blade Sharp Pain [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've searched online recently and didn't find what I need to know about the sharp pain I have in my left shoulder blade. It feels like the arc of my shoulder blade is cutting the muscle as if it were as cerated knife. It really hurts sometimes so bad I can't hardly move because of the...

Lump behind shoulder blade [ 13 Answers ]

My dog is a german shepard mix, he's almost 10. He developed about a month ago a hard solid lump behind his shoulder blade. It doesn't hurt him or effect his mobility at all. It doesn't move or change in size. The fur around it appears fine. He's going to the vet in Sept for his checkup but just...

Sharp pain on left shoulder blade [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone answer why I am having sharp pains on left shoulder blade.

Sharp Pain Below Shoulder Blade [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I'm about 16 and I found this site while surfing Google. The problem I have is for the past year or so I have been feeling a sharp pain as if someone is stabbing a hot knife or needle located about 3 inches to the right of my shoulderblade, and I can't see mto remember any accidence I have had...

Shooting shoulder blade pain [ 2 Answers ]

I woke up with a really back stabbing pain under right shoulderblade thinking I had slept wrong breathing deep hurts and almost like a contraction were my eyes fill up with water I want to know should I put hot or cold to make it go away??

View more questions Search