Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jscotthubble Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Does an Unperfected Contract Demand a Termination Letter?
    I drafted a contract that included a written notice to terminate the agreement. The two of us signed the contract, but he never perfected it by buying what he said he would, also provided for in the contract. He bought about 1/2. We told him there was never any agreement because he did not live up to his end of the bargain and I entered into another agreement with someone else in the same territory.

The first guy has now hired a lawyer and the lawyer said I am liable because I treated him like a terminated dealer without ever actually terminating him (via a letter). I contend there was never any agreement because he never did what the contract specified.

Who is right?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 02:42 PM
    It's my opinion that his attorney is right. The two of you had a valid contract. It was signed and had been partially completed. Since he did not complete his performance you were obligated to give him written notice that he was in default of the contract and that you were terminating the agreement.

A default in performance of a contract does not mean that the contract never existed. It merely means that the non-defaulting party has the right to terminate. The contract that you drafted provided that written notice was required in order to terminate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease termination. Objection letter [ 1 Answers ]

According to my lease, I have to pay $495.81 cleaning fee and $850 security/cleaning deposit if I terminate my lease early. I am trying to avoid paying unfair charges. Please, look at my letter to the landlord and correct if necessary. Thank you. RE: STATEMENT OF DEPOSIT ACCOUNT Dear...

Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter Michigan [ 9 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Small Claims Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter my [ 1 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Commitment letter given & contract of buy is signed, can denial letter make/break? [ 4 Answers ]

My parents "were" in the process of selling their home. The buyers had gotten approved for the loan and signed the contract to close on the house. They put down 1/2 of their down payment as one of two. The second payment would be transferred at closing. The shady buyers decided they...

View more questions Search