Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catting Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Homosexual families
    Do you think that homosexuals should have the legal right to raise a child? Do you consider it appropriate to the child or children or on society as a whole? Is they a difference? Would it affect the child? I :confused: really needs to know
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Well, regardless of how people feel about it morally, studies have shown that children raised by gay parents really don't turn out any different than children raised in straight homes. They seem to be just as well-adjusted, and in some ways more so because they tend to be more tolerant of different lifestyles. They have less prejudice against "different" people than their counterparts raised in a straight home. Also, they are usually straight themselves. Being raised by gay parents doesn't seem to "make you gay", as some people worry about. And 97% of the people who sexually abuse children are straight men, so the sexual abuse issue doesn't factor much into it either.

Is it an ideal situation though? I'm not sure. Lots of people think that it's best if a child has 2 parents, one of either sex, but there are so many single parent families out there, that lots of kids aren't getting that anyway. And of the 2 gay parent families that I know, the kids have extended family members (uncles, aunts, family friends, etc) to help take the place of the opposite sex parent.

From the opinion of someone who was raised in foster care and never adopted, I think I would have been glad just to HAVE parents, and it wouldn't have mattered to me if they were gay or straight.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 04:03 PM
    First I do not believe that homosexual behavior itself should be legal. Please read all of post before you hate me too much

Should a person in the US, who at this time has the legal right for the sexual activity that they believe in adopt. YES, our constitution is based on equal rights to all people, If their behavior was illegal, then you can bar or ban someone from other rights, but as a person who has a legal right to their life style, they under the US Constitution should have all rights given to anyone.

I thnk it is hard on them, as it is on children of racially mixed marriages, children of single famliy homes, children in foster homes and so on.
    There is really not a perfect home, dads in one works too much, moms drinks in another. While I really have issues with the sexual behavior, and don't believe any child should be taught this is acceptabe behavior, But can they be loving homes yes of course they can.

And as a whole, they are rasied the same as any other family, some better than others.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 08:10 PM
    A family with love and a commitment to the well being of that family is the main thing,color sexual orientation or acne has little to do with being good parents.:cool:
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Feb 3, 2006, 10:29 PM
    I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I think that because it's such a harder road for same sex parents to go down, (in that it's just more difficult for gay couples to become parents/adopt/foster whatever) a lot more thought seems to be put in to the parenting. Same sex couples who really want to have a family have a much more complicated route to parenthood. So they don't take a decision like this lightly.
    So many "straight families" start in the backseats of cars and round the backs of night clubs.
    Isn't love the core of what family should be about?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Young Marriage, Families and Religion [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, Im needing to get opinions about a dilemma I am facing. I am 20 years of age and have been with my partner for almost 4 years now. I am head over heels for him even more so now than 4 years ago. My question relates to marriage. One year after we started dating he proposed to me. I said no...

View more questions Search