Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2003, 07:44 PM
    Married man, Pregnant Girlfriend
    Does the law require a Married man to pay for a child he fathers from another women.  He already has a two year old child with his wife and wants to stay in his marriage.  Paternity Testing will be done.
    I have heard that if he stays married the wife is also considered responsible for the payment.  
    The pregnant "other woman" is not planning on pursuing financial help, but, she is barely making it on her own. (They are from Texas and over 30 years old. The male, the wife and the pregnant woman all have full time jobs.)
    singlelady123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Feb 11, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Pregnant by a Married Man!
    I am 5 months pregnant by what I thought to be a very kind man who I have known and worked with for about 8 years now. We family became intimate about 5 months ago and it was still going on until he found out by a co-worker that I was pregnant. He's mad at me now and wants me to get an abortion because he's married! I really care about him and I believes that deep down he cares about me but now he's afraid his wife will find out! What should I do to keep our friendship/relationship alive? We've had sex several times and he never ask for a rubber but now he regrets not using one like it's all my fault1 What legal rights do I have if he decides to back away from this child?
    ivy91bravo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2005, 08:50 AM
    He has to take resonsibility for this child
    Depending on what state you are in, you can have him sign an acknowledgement of paternity form , which heprobably won't if he is worried about covering his own but, if not you may have to arrange for a court ordered DNA test, once he is determined as the father he will be responsible for child support and possibly a portion of you medical expenses.
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 05:57 PM
    The man's wife's income is not considered in child support calculations .
    Dianna20 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2005, 02:30 PM
    If the child is yours, YOU WILL have to help support it. I don't know about your wife, but I don't think her income plays into it. I know people who are married now who have children from a previous marriage and the man is solely responsible for the child support. But yes, you are going to have to pay child support if the baby is yours.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2005, 02:40 PM
    2.5 years later, I think he has figured it out by now.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 06:17 PM
    Normally the man would be responsible for supporting the child that he fathered, regardless of his and the mother's marital status. The wife, on the other hand, has no legal obligation to provide support as it is not her child. However, if the mother "doesn't plan on pursuing financial help", which I take to mean she isn't going to initiate legal action then the father will not be compelled to pay anything.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2005, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    2.5 years later, i think he has figured it out by now.
    Look at the dates on the various posts and observe the pattern:

Original post: June 10, 2003 (obviously ancient by now)
    1st. Response: Feb. 11, 2005 (over a year and a half later)
    2nd response: Feb. 20, 2005 (1st response was still fresh, though the original post was long outdated)
    3rd. Response: Mar. 31, 2005 (previous response is pretty stale by now)
    4th response: Yesterday, Dec. 6, 2005. This pushed this thread to the top of the list, giving the appearance of being a new thread.
    Two more people, including myself, have since responded, seeing this thread at the top of the list, despite its age, and believing it to be a new thread.
    Let's all make it a point to check the date on the original post and, if it's old, don't respond. That'll keep it at the bottom of the list and no one will be tempted to respond to it.
    dsnewton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Too old... ha... lol... gee... old questions do get new answers... I don't follow directions...

Had child support in the 80's and wife was going to receive a tax return... but government grabbed it to pay back child support payment I owed... lol... did she get and mad a me?. yes...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2005, 10:06 AM
    Yes
    Yes, he being married may actually go against him in court to a lot of pro family judges.

But up to the maximum amount allowed to be garnished from his pay, he will pay for any and all children he has (in or out) of marriage.

Plus the child's mother if not know, can always file for more support as the years pass and as relationships change and as income changes.

I am not use about TX but often the wife income is considered in household income to the court in determining what is fair child support.

Best bet, try to reach a fair settlement before going to court
    jekyll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
    I'm in the same situation... I had a baby on August 14, 2007 by a married man (I didn't know he was at the time I was with him)... we worked together and no one mentioned a wife (and especially not him)... I luckily was able to get his SSN (no thanks to him), and now we have a court date in March... I'll let you know what the court decides.
    zrhodes Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Believe me if it is yours and, you are marries you will pay child support and, rather you want to stay married or not, she may leave you and, then you will be paying child support to her as well. Good Luck!! Keep your pants up
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Melba
    Does the law require a Married man to pay for a child he fathers from another women.  He already has a two year old child with his wife and wants to stay in his marriage.  Paternity Testing will be done.
    I have heard that if he stays married the wife is also considered responsible for the payment.  
    The pregnant "other woman" is not planning on pursuing financial help, but, she is barely making it on her own. (They are from Texas and over 30 years old. The male, the wife and the pregnant woman all have full time jobs.)

Whether wife's income will be considered depends on the State but, yes, married or not the father is responsible for supporting the child.

The State may force the mother to pursue financial help - how does she plan on supporting the child without assistance?
    sdc719 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Oh girl, if he backs out you don't even have to be worried about that. If he fathered that child even if he doesn't want to sign an AOP (Acknowledgement of Paternity), all you have to do is go to your local attorney general's office and they will find him and court order him to take a paternity test and if he doesn't show up he will be fined or put in jail. Once the paternity is established he will be ordered to pay child support and medical insurance for the child and you can set up a visitation schedule from there. If doesn't pay it will be garnished from his wages and tax returns so if he backs out even if he voluntarily gives up his rights (depending on which state you are in) he will still be responsible for child support. So you are covered if that happens unles he tries to be slick like my son's father and work jobs that only pay cash or switch jobs as soon as his wages are garnished but even then they will owe back child support. Your child is entilted to that support from his father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend Pregnant, baby isn't mine [ 28 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in a predicament I thought I would never find myself in and would like your advice on the situation. Im 21 and have been dating this girl for 4 months, she is also 21. A month ago she told me she was pregnant and it was from a guy that she had a one night stand with she didn’t use...

Psycho pregnant ex-girlfriend [ 10 Answers ]

My son (22) started dating an 18-yr-old about 18 months ago. I asked him what they were doing for birth control and she had told him that she had had "an operation to have everything taken out" and couldn't get pregnant. I told him no doctor would agree to that for a girl so young. During their...

Ex Girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm 16 , and I reside in Delaware, two years ago, I met this girl , when we first met, we didn't really talk, then we became real good friends, and eventually sparked a relationship and it lasted a good 9 months. We was real young and I remember she wanted us to get married and I grew...

My girlfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My girlfriend is a cutter She did in the past, then stopped, then after meeting a friend of hers Who still does she started again. Now I will admit that when I found out I did flip out a bit and I probably shouldn't of but now she won't talk to me, and I have been trying my best to help her...

Married man, girlfriend and colleague, but she is now... [ 64 Answers ]

I am 34, married. I love my wife, but I don't get enough from her As some husbands do... My girlfriend is 24, being my student at the university, my girlfriend and my closest colleague for the last 2.5 years. We both worked for a government organization, and we established A private...

View more questions Search