Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffjoray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Chapter 13 inheritance
    I racked up $100000 in credit card debt gambling on the internet. Some of these cards were in my wife's name. We filed for bankruptcy and agreed to pay over a 3 yr period. 1 yr later my wife's mother dies unexpectantly and my wife was left some money and land. Our attorney never warned us on what would happen if we inherited anything during the 3 yrs. We have paid for a year. Is there any way I can protect my wife from this happening to her since none of this was done by her. What can we do? We are being told that we will have to pay back a lot more than what we agreed to. A lot of what I have read talks about inheriting within 180 days. Can you help me. Jeff
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Get an attorney, if possible you may be able to leave it in probate, not actually take prossession of it. Next if you have not inherited it yet, change it from a chapter 13 bankruptcy over to the chapter 7 and get all the debts discharged. ( again talk to your attorney)

Remember your attorney, if he is good, works for you, and can advice you what can be done legally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chapter 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I just made my last payment on my chapter 13 bankruptcy. I am waiting my discharge papers. I was told that I will still have to pay an attorney or interest to my mortgage company. Is this true?

Getting tenant out w/ Chapter 7 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.. we have a tenant that has not paid August or September and bounced/finally paid June and July. We served her with a 30 day notice on Aug 15th to break the tenancy and to leave the property on Sept 16th. We just received a letter today that she filed Chapter 7 on Aug 31st. We have people coming...

Chapter 13 bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

May Have To Do A Chapetr 13 To Safe My House I Have Spoken To A Lawyer About All This But What Gets Me Is I Still Have To Pay My 1500.00 Morg Which I Just Can't Do And That's What Got Me Into This Mess In The First Place. We Have Been In This House 10 Years Now And Did A Refi 4 Years Ago.it...

Chapter 13 [ 2 Answers ]

Thank for the info,but will I be able to get a refi since I'm 4 months Behind and there calling every day telling me their going to foreclose? Last month I tried and there seamed to have many bumps in the road Because of this.my new place asked if I was in forecloser because it came Up,but I...

Chapter 1 [ 3 Answers ]

1)You can always add two numbers that have the same units.However,you cannot always add two numbers that have the same dimensions.Explain why not,and inlcude an example in your explanation. ____________________________________________ a)Is it possible for two quantities to have the same...

View more questions Search