Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elyce Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 05:54 AM
    What age is good for sex?
    What age should you have sex when you're a teenager?:)
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:05 AM
    The day of your marriage!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
    None, teenagers shouldn't be having sexual intercourse. In fact NO ONE should be having sexual intercourse until they are financially, emotionally and pysically ready to have a child. No method of birth control is 100%.

Notice however, that I was specific about sexual intercourse. I know its unrealistic to expect that people refrain from all sexual activity. There are ways to share intimacy with one's partner without going as far as intercourse. There is no age on when one should do that, but it should ONLY be done when one is in a committed relationship with a strong emotional bond. Generally teenagers, especially younger ones, are not mature enough to have established or even recognize such a bond.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 06:17 PM
    After marriage, on your honeymoon.
    isabelgopo Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Mar 19, 2008, 06:47 PM
    18 is a good age, and always try the merchandise before buying it.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Mar 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Interesting question. There is no rule that says you "should" have sex as a teenager by any special age... or as an adult for that matter. But, most folks do.

Maybe this will help. The 2002 National Survey of Family Growth says that by age 15, 16% of people have had sex, by age 18, 58% have, and by age 20, 75% have. The numbers are slightly higher for males, lower for females. The survey also says that 97% of those in the US who have had sex had done so premaritally at some point. (Don't beat me up, check the link.) Sounds high, but it is probably accurate.

http://www.publichealthreports.org/u...22-1_73-78.pdf

Now, getting back to the "should". What you should know before having sex is about protection. I heard a report last week that said that one in four (25%) of teenage girls in the US has some sort of sexually transmitted disease (STD). You SHOULD find out about STDs and use protection. Make sure you understand this.

Also, there is the legal issue. The age of consent varies in the US from 14 to 18. In those states, it is illegal for individuals to have sex until they reach that age. You need to find out what the age of consent is for your state or country before you go any further.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 10:46 PM
    A whole lot of misdirection in those answers, people. Elyce didn't ask for statistics nor a list of the dangers. The question was a simple "when should a teenager have sex".

Since sex is FOR making babies (the philosophical differences are many, but this one fact is indisputable, nature has assured this), then the answer will always be fundamentally "start having sex when you're emotionally, relationally and financially ready to raise children."

Any sooner than that (at any age) is simple idiocy. Safe sex is an illusion, there's no such thing... all they mean is "you know how to use birth control." But that insures NOTHING.

So, when you're ready to parent... alone or with your significant other... go for it. Not before.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Mar 20, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    A whole lot of misdirection in those answers, people. Elyce didn't ask for statistics nor a list of the dangers. The question was a simple "when should a teenager have sex".
    Gotta' take issue here. One of the possible implied questions is "When do teenagers start having sex?" Another is to ask "When am I expected to start having sex?" There wasn't much way to tell which way the question was being asked.

There were plenty of posts of the opinion that the answer is "when you are married!" That's all well and good and probably the answer many people would like, but it doesn't reflect the real world.

In the US (based on the quoted report) one out of six kids have sex by age 14, more than half have had sex by 18, and before they get out of college three out of four have done the dirty deed. Kids have sex, but with the "abstinence only" sex education being handed out in government schools in the US these days the STD rate is higher than it has ever been for teenagers.

The up side of sex is bringing babies into this world in a caring and nourishing environment. The down side is being 14 with a case of herpes that you are going to have for the rest of your life. There is a great deal of middle ground and that is where the majority of teenagers live today.

And saying things like "sex is FOR making babies" is like saying eyes are for seeing tigers first so we don't get eaten. Both are true enough, but both sex and eyes are used for other things in the 21st century. Look at any fashion magazine.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 06:36 PM
    RoDandy - I have to agree with you, the way the question was asked there are a multitude of answers that can be given.

When should teens have sex? Teens shouldn't have sex, adults should have sex, teens aren't adults. That's my opinion.

But, since I am realistic and realize that teens are probably going to have sex no matter what I say, please realize that this is a big step. It's not something to take lightly, it's a big decision, one you can never, ever take back, so be sure that you are ready and that this is what you really want. And for goodness sake, use birth control, the pill, condoms, you name it, use it.

No matter what you decide, don't do it because someone else wants you to, this is your decision, and if it doesn't feel right, then it isn't right. Understand?
    Live Laugh Love Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:25 PM
    There is no right age for sex. Although you should wait until you are married. Because you are young and going through so many changes and you may feel differently about that person at a later point in your life and rethink "Why did'nt i wait?" "Why did i do it?" Teenage years are very emotional and you don't need the consequences of sex in it.
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Mar 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Whenever you feel like you're emotionally ready. To the people above making arguments about babies and what not, you're all making the assumption that he's straight. Same goes for those of you calling for marriage. With the culture teenagers are presented with, how can anyone be surprised that teens are having sex? However, I do definitely agree that it can be a big thing, and for sure you can never take it back. And of course, if you choose to have sex always use protection.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 10:02 AM
    We're making assumptions? How do you know that the OP is male? There isn't enough information.

The way the question was phrased leaves allot of room for interpretation. Everyone has answered the question based on how they read the question.

Maybe we need some more info from the OP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sex after the age of 55 [ 5 Answers ]

:mad: Hi, I am 53 years old male and my girlfriend is 55 years. I am very active sexualy and she started to loose interest in sex. She would not let me touch her breast or vagina. She also does not and can not achieve orgasm. I have had several conversations with her and wanted to help her to...

What's a good age to marry? [ 30 Answers ]

What is a good age to get married, have a house, and start a family?

Right age for sex? [ 13 Answers ]

OK so I'm not planning on having sex anytime soon.. but I was just wondering when do you think is the right time or age for sex? I know the legal age is 16... (im 16 by the way :p ) But yeah just wanting your opinion on it, cause it seems to me like people are having sex younger and younger.. I...

The good old age-issue. [ 18 Answers ]

Okay! I meet a girl at a club a while ago and we really hit it of. It was so great and we kissed and hugged like crazy. All we could talk about while walking home was how great it was to meet each other. And similarity after similarity came up. We love the same musik (very unusual for me......

Sex age [ 1 Answers ]

Lets say that my boyfriend is 24 and I'm 17 in the state of Illinois and we've had sex would that be considered as rape?

View more questions Search