Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Onan Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Mar 25, 2008, 08:00 PM
    No, the two genealogies are one from Mary and the other one from Joseph,
    I have heard this before, and it cannot be. For 1 if it were Mary's why have Joseph in it?
    2. If it were Mary's it still doesn't explain why they couldn't agree on the name of Joseph's father which in my opinion still makes it a bit shady.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 08:21 PM
    First of course these genealogy are abridged, there are abridged with many of the early names omitted In Luke after David the lines separate to touch on both Shealtiel and Zerubbabel.

The accepted view is that Matthew gives Joseph line, and Luke Marys line.
    Joseph line was needed to how jesus the legal heir to the promises of Abraham and David Amd Mary lins showing the blood line.

Mary's line was written according to Jewish usage was in her husbands name, Joseph was the "son of Heil" or son in law to Heil
    Since we know Josephs father name was really Jacob (Mat 1:16)

I have a couple books on the linage but it is too late to dig them out, I am sure of course there will be PRO and NEG points on this on the web.

This is the "MOST" accepted opinin but again some scholars do not agree, but then some do not agree on any issue

Mar 25, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First of course these genealogy are abridged, there are abridged with many of the early names omitted In Luke after David the lines seperate to touch on both Shealtiel and Zerubbabel.

The accepted view is that Matthew gives Joseph line, and Luke Marys line.
    Joseph line was needed to how jesus the legal heir to the promises of Abraham and David Amd Mary lins showing the blood line.

Mary's line was written according to Jewish usage was in her husbands name, Joseph was the "son of Heil" or son in law to Heil
    Since we know Josephs father name was really Jacob (Mat 1:16)

I have a couple books on the linage but it is too late to dig them out, I am sure of course there will be PRO and NEG points on this on the web.

This is the "MOST" accepted opinin but again some scholars do not agree, but then some do not agree on any issue
    I have read articles by both sides and I really do think they both have interesting ideas. The problem is, this is just a small part of the big problem I have with the whole story. I didn't want to list everything because once again I am taking something away from the question asked. I guess my point is, if God had anything to do with the writing of the Bible this is an erea I would have expected him to make sure nothing was left open for debate. I mean this is supposed to be an all knowing, powerful God right. Is this really that hard of a task?
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 26, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Onan
    I have read articles by both sides and I really do think they both have interesting ideas. The problem is, this is just a small part of the big problem I have with the whole story. I didn't want to list everthing because once again I am taking something away from the question asked. I guess my point is, if God had anything to do with the writing of the Bible this is an erea I would have expected him to make sure nothing was left open for debate. I mean this is supposed to be an all knowing, powerful God right. Is this really that hard of a task??
    This has nothing to do with the original question, but - - -

Rev 5:5
    5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
    (KJV)

Jesus is referred to as the "root" of David. One of the descendent kings of David's line was so evil that God said no one of his descendents would ever reign as king, thus cutting off the royal line. The root of David refers to another of David's sons, Nathan by name, who was in Mary's lineage. God kept His word to David about his greater Son reigning while cutting off the royal line. Fr. Church has already explained the difference about Joseph's lineage.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
    2 kings
    2:23 And he(Elisha) went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

I have often wondered what this story is supposed to mean. Every time I have almost thought of a great meaning for this story I just couldn't help but think about those poor parents who lost their kids. Of course we know this story isn't true. No loving, caring God would ever do something like that. Which means there probably isn't much of a chance he had anything to do with the writing of this story either.
    THE MEANING OF 2 KINGS 2:23 -

Elisha was the successor of Elijah the prophet, and when he was walking past these boys, they mocked and ridiculed him, not because he was bald but because they knew he was a representative of God as he was wearing Elijah's recognisable garment, and they didn't want a successor of Elijah around, so they were basically telling him in a smart-alec way to go up to heaven the same way Elijah did. This was a test of Elisha's prophetship not to mention the great disrespect shown to him as a representative of God, so in showing his approval of Elisha, when called upon, he answered by way of the two bears. This was a lesson for parents to teach their children proper respect.
    Of course we would naturally feel sorry for anyone who loses their child but the same happened to the Egyptians when the 10th plague hit - another lesson for the unrighteous. All lessons. Something we can look back to and learn that by our actions we will be judged accordingly, not with bears popping out of nowhere or by us turning to a pillar of salt, but when armageddon finally arrives. God does not perform miracles now because we now have the complete bible which contains all miracles, signs, examples etc that pertain to any questions or thoughts we have about life, spirituality, death etc.
    :)

Mar 26, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    This has nothing to do with the original question, but - - -

Rev 5:5
    5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
    (KJV)

Jesus is referred to as the "root" of David. One of the descendent kings of David's line was so evil that God said no one of his descendents would ever reign as king, thus cutting off the royal line. The root of David refers to another of David's sons, Nathan by name, who was in Mary's lineage. God kept His word to David about his greater Son reigning while cutting off the royal line. Fr. Chuch has already explained the difference about Joseph's lineage.
    Yes I understand what you guys are saying, and I would love to continue because I have a lot to say on this subject, but I would rather wait until a question came up that was more suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    This was a test of Elisha's prophetship not to mention the great disrespect shown to him as a representative of God, so in showing his approval of Elisha, when called upon, he answered by way of the two bears. This was a lesson for parents to teach their children proper respect.
    I understand what the lesson is. I don't understand the murder. To me the mass murder overshadows anything the writer was trying to teach. The Bible is filled with these kinds of stories of mass murder and I find it hard to believe that an all knowing God didn't have a better way of teaching people. I don't mean to keep repeating myself but this is a story that wasn't even good for people back then let alone for us today. It's just a flat out horrible story. I know it didn't really happen but that makes no difference to me. It's not a nice story and one I wouldn't even let my kids read. Hell I won't even let my kids pick up a Bible because of it's content. Yet we have people like falwell(sp) complain about the Harry Potter books. You can't help but laugh sometimes.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
    I understand what the lesson is. I don't understand the murder. To me the mass murder overshadows anything the writer was trying to teach. The Bible is filled with these kinds of stories of mass murder and I find it hard to believe that an all knowing God didn't have a better way of teaching people.
    Lack of 'accurate knowledge' will always confuse people, because they don't have a full understanding of God and who he really is. It's nothing to simply read something and use our own understanding in the place of Gods but it takes a lot of deep deep studying and comparing and genuine prayer - something maybe you see as a timewaster since God could not have possibly used the writers of the bible to pen his own thoughts - to get the full meaning of what God is really trying to get across.

Peace out. :cool:

Mar 26, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    Lack of 'accurate knowledge' will always confuse people, because they don't have a full understanding of God and who he really is. It's nothing to simply read something and use our own understanding in the place of Gods but it takes a lot of deep deep studying and comparing and genuine prayer - something maybe you see as a timewaster since God could not have possibly used the writers of the bible to pen his own thoughts - to get the full meaning of what God is really trying to get across.

Peace out. :cool:
    Murder is murder, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist or 'accurate knowledge' to understand that. I don't care if it's God doing it or not. Murder is wrong according to God(even though he had a hard time throughout the Bible keeping his own commandment) and humans. If prayer makes me see that any differently then I would commit myself because murder is murder. I would not follow a man who thinks murder is OK, so why should I follow a God who does? I find it hard to believe anyone would condone or make excuses for this kind of behavior. It kind of contradicts that God is loving and caring, don't you think?
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Mar 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Murder is murder, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist or 'accurate knowledge' to understand that. I don't care if it's God doing it or not. Murder is wrong according to God(even though he had a hard time throughout the Bible keeping his own commandment) and humans. If prayer makes me see that any differently then I would commit myself because murder is murder. I would not follow a man who thinks murder is OK, so why should I follow a God who does?? I find it hard to believe anyone would condone or make excuses for this kind of behavior. It kind of contradicts that God is loving and caring, don't you think??
    For a GOD who is eternal, this life on earth is nothing but a vapour. From an eternity perspective, the 70-95 years we have on this earth is nothing, zip, zero, nada, zilch!
    Even though the body dies, the spirit is eternal. God gave everyone life on earth and He has the Power to take it away. So what?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 27, 2008, 06:37 PM
    For a GOD who is eternal, this life on earth is nothing but a vapour. From an eternity perspective, the 70-95 years we have on this earth is nothing, zip, zero, nada, zilch!
    Actually that view makes a lot of sense, even though it is based on belief!
    But what happened to the topic "Will a gay person go to heaven?"...
    :rolleyes:

Mar 27, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    God gave everyone life on earth and He has the Power to take it away. So what?
    We all have the power to take it away, doesn't make it right.

I created(helped at least) a son and daughter, and I could never even think about killing either of them. I really don't see how that's supposed to excuse mass murder.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 27, 2008, 09:58 PM
    The way anyone interprets the Bible is IN THEIR head. You are a human being. If you leave this life at peace with yourself, you have reached "Heaven".
    addaddadd Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007
    The way anyone interprets the Bible is IN THEIR head. You are a human being. If you leave this life at peace with yourself, you have reached "Heaven".
    People must not interpret the bible, because the bible can intepret it selfs. You must search the bible to know the answer.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by addaddadd
    people must not interpret the bible, because the bible can intepret it selfs.
    This kind of denial of one's own thought process always astounds me.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Will a gay person go to heaven?

I honestly don't know about the after life, but I do know a personal relationship with the God of your understanding, can give you guidance, and direction, on becoming a good human being, and having a positive and productive life, while you are here on this EARTH. Because you are gay doesn't mean you are not human, or whether you're a good human, or a bad one, its completely your choice to make, no matter what others interpret, feel, or guess at. That's between you, and your God, that YOU understand. Let that very personal relationship, guide your thoughts, and actions, through this life, because in the end, none of us will be there, when you make your final peace, with The Creator of All things.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Mar 28, 2008, 08:48 AM
    We all have the power to take it away, doesn't make it right.

I created(helped at least) a son and daughter, and I could never even think about killing either of them. I really don't see how thats supposed to excuse mass murder.

No, you do not have the right to take the life of your children because you did not give them that life or create it. You do not have the power to give life. All you did was have sex with your husband or wife and consequently a biological process created a fetus. God gave man the ability to procreate but that does not mean you "created" your children. You are just a benefactor of a biological system that God Himself created.
    So no, you do not have the right to take your children's life because you didn't create them. God did. And he has the right to end the life He gave us at His WILL. If you don't like that, too bad.

Mar 28, 2008, 09:21 PM
    No, you do not have the right to take the life of your children
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have read a lot of your posts and I know you are smarter than this. I didn't say I had the RIGHT to take life, I said I had the POWER to take life. We all do. No one has the RIGHT, murder is wrong. The power to take life is not reserved for the Gods. You only have to watch the evening news to know this is truth.

You do not have the power to give life.
    The fact that my kids are here is more than enough to prove otherwise. If it weren't for my wife and I, my kids would not be here.

All you did was have sex with your husband or wife and consequently a biological process created a fetus.
    Ahhhhhh yes, it was the greatest 30 seconds of my life... lol

Now I will be honest, I'm not much into science but I have read somewhere that humans have successfully cloned sheep? If it hasn't been done yet it won't be too long before a human is cloned. If that is the case we will have HUMANS creating LIFE. So whether it be physically or in a lab we have the power to create life.

God did. And he has the right to end the life He gave us at His WILL.
    God has no more right to end my kids life than I do. As I said, no one has the right to murder. Murder is wrong. I'm really not understanding how you or anyone else for that matter does not understand murder is wrong.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 05:31 AM
    I'm really not understanding how you or anyone else for that matter does not understand murder is wrong.
    It's the religious equivalent of Richard Nixon's rationale: "If the President does it, it's not illegal".
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Mar 30, 2008, 11:30 AM
    anyone's who accepts Jesus Christ as ones savior ,then he or she will surely go to heaven,if he or she was a good person and a good christian too.

Jesus loves all. And moreoevr its not someone's sin if someone is a born gay. But you see is anyone pretends to be one afterwards and knows in reality that he is a man,but just becomes a gay for FUN,then I think God will punish such a person.

I think the Bible scholars knows more ,however that wwas only a view.

KEEP PRAYING AND ASK FOR FORGIVENESS !
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sovaira
    anyones who accepts Jesus Christ as ones savior ,then he or she will surely go to heaven,if he or she was a good person and a good christian too.

Jesus loves all.

!

Bless you Sovaira, bless you for your answer. You did it, You answered the question beautifully.

None of us will be appearing before God free of sin, not one of us, but like you said, as long as we accept Jesus as our saviour and love our Heavenly Father, and do our
    Humanly best to symbolic of God's love, through words then actions, then yes, we will
    Be in Our Heveanly Father's loving arms.

We are human, and the Father knows this.

Bless you again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song Heaven o Heaven.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Ive been looking everywhere do find out who sings that slow song that goes "Heaven o Heaven can you help me, Iam down on my knees please heaven, heaven, heaven, I close my eyes and shes all I see heaven o heaven can you help me" The group or singer sort of sound like Boyz II Men Please...

My gay friends tell me my new love interest is gay [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Im new to this service. I am a 32 year old female, who has been dating a 26 year old guy for about 2 months. I met him about a year ago, and up until 2 months ago, really only hung out with him with our other friends. We both knew there was something there, had not had the...

My family thinks that being gay is wrong and I'm gay! [ 5 Answers ]

K well I'm gay and my family thinks that being gay is wrong.They want me to get married to someone who is also portuguese or french and start a family.I told my auntie and she was fine with it but she was worried something was going to happen to me.I want to tell my grandma who I absoulutly love...

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

View more questions Search