Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lhhai Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 09:31 AM
    How many hour should we sleep in a day ?
    Hi all,

In your opinion, how many hour should we sleep in a day ?
    How many is best for our brain and our body ?

Cheers
    Ly Hoang Hai
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Feb 3, 2006, 09:36 AM
    Doesn't it depend on the person? I've heard it should be 6 hours but I sleep about 4 or 5
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 3, 2006, 03:32 PM
    I think kids need around 9 hours sleep and adults need about 6 hours sleep. But as manu says its down to what the persons body can cope with.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
    I think it's highly individual. Doctors recommend about 8 hours, but some people need more and others can get by on less. Personally, I'm good with 7 hours a night.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 03:52 PM
    I have heard that regular 8 hours of sleep a night is ideal. I get between 3 - 5 hours.

Feb 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I think it's highly individual. Doctors recommend about 8 hours, but some people need more and others can get by on less. Personally, I'm good with 7 hours a night.
    I would agree Orange for health reasons you need to go with what your body is telling you ;)

Feb 3, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Jesushelper76 & Manu I got the same problem, most of the time I'm like 4/5 hours sleep and I'm fine and feel well , but then sometimes once in a blue moon I'll be knocked out for around 12 hours?? But this is once in a blue moon.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Actually a good way to find out what you personally need is to try going to bed at the same time for a couple of weeks, and don't use an alarm to wake yourself up. You should find that you notice a pattern after a while, that your body just naturally wakes you up after a certain amount of sleep, and that the time you get up is fairly constant (unless you're sick or using medication of course). That's how I found out I need 7 hours.

Feb 3, 2006, 04:00 PM
    great idea that is but I tried that along with other things I have been told and I wake up at like random times and go back to sleep then wake up and can't go to sleep and I don't really want to get ready for school at 4am. Then again it would be a great time to do my homework...

Feb 3, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Actually a good way to find out what you personally need is to try going to bed at the same time for a couple of weeks, and don't use an alarm to wake yourself up. You should find that you notice a pattern after a while, that your body just naturally wakes you up after a certain amount of sleep, and that the time you get up is fairly constant (unless you're sick or using medication of course). That's how I found out I need 7 hours.
    LoL Orange I don't sleep well, but knowing my luck I would over sleep and not make it into work :p my boss would kick my ***;)
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 04:03 PM
    I'm not directing this at you manut or anyone else who's posted, but I meant to mention also, that if you get way too much or way too little sleep, it may be a sign of depression. So if you're concerned about the amount of sleep you're getting, you should also consult a physician for a checkup.

Feb 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Thanks but why is the original post at the top of page 2??
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Oh admin changed that recently... the original post is always at the top of each page now.

Feb 3, 2006, 04:09 PM
    O OK cheers
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to orange again.

I get this all the time now with one username or another. There shoul be a limit of 1 or 0

Feb 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by manutd4eva
    thanks but why is the original post at the top of page 2????
    Manu I think it's a new change to the forum!

Orange I'd agree with what you said, but for me I think its just my minds over active and there ain't enuff hours in the day for me ;) to get everything done I want too lol

Feb 3, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Lol nwsflash

Also orange thanks for your answer but please can you explain why you can be depressed with little sleep. I don't see how this would make a big difference.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Sleeping less doesn't necessarily MAKE you depressed, but it can be one of many signs of depression. People who are depressed go to extremes in various areas of their lives, like sleeping too much or too little, eating too much or not enough, working too much or being a major slacker, crying too much or not at all, etc. With any of these symptoms though, it depends on what is USUAL for you, like if you usually sleep only 4 hours a night, it's likely not depression. But if you were sleeping 8 hours a night for years, and suddenly started sleeping only 4, that might be a cause for concern. Also with depression there's usually more than one symptom. But sleep disturbances are definitely one of the major symptoms.

Feb 3, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Thanks for that now I understand better.
    Lol the example you used seems about right for me - sleep 8 hours a night for years, and sudenly started sleeping only 4 - that's what happened to me in the summer and I've never got nack to 8 hours and I've tried loads of ways like I said on another topic somewhere on here.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Well as long as you don't feel sick, aren't taking uppers or speed, and are functioning in other areas of your life, it's probably nothing to worry about. If it bothers you a lot though and continues even if you try to change things, it might be that you have some kind of sleep disorder too. Those can accompany depression or just be on their own. From what you've said though, it sounds like you're fine with 4 hours. That's all Mother Teresa ever got in a night, 4 hours, and look at all the work she got done in the world, haha!

Feb 3, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Lol yea thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray runs 1/2 hour then shuts off [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a used 19' murry lawn mower, the first time I used it it ran for about 1/2 an hour and shuts off, I found if I turn it on its side and push the primer button, it will run a few more minutes but then again shuts off. Can somebody help me.:confused:engine type=briggs and stratton, hp=4...

Need help with call of duty finest hour. [ 4 Answers ]

Okay you guys who p;ayed it know how there is a level with 2 tanks and a huge tank that you have to protect? Well I can't beat it. Need help.

A/c only runs for an hour [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, about 3 days ago my a/c unit inside started to pour out water. I bought a wet dry vac and unclogged the pipes, and changed the filter. Now, it will work fine for about an hour, then it starts to struggle. The inside unit tries to run but it does not kick in only makes whispering noise and...

Thermostat Cycles Per Hour [ 3 Answers ]

I have a multi-zone (5) HWBB heating system attached to programmable thermostats. The thermostat has a "cycles per hour" setting. What does this do, and what should I set it to? It's currently set to "3" on all thermostats.

3-hour diet [ 2 Answers ]

Has anybody heard of 3- Hour Diet program by jorger cruise?? I just want to know is it effective?? If anybody doing this diet please reply me ~

View more questions Search