Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pacermb Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Deer control
    I have five deer that live in the neighborhood. They moved here due to new construction that demolished their home. I have a 6' chainlink fence surrounding my property but the deer have no trouble jumping it. I have a rose garden (103 roses) an orchard with apple, cherry, peach, apricot, plum, etc. trees and I grow berries. I cannot find a way to discourage the deer. Wildlife said they would come shoot them (they are not endangered) but I would rather find a peaceful way. Help!!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Unfortunately the only solution for you would be to put up a much higher fence. Deer cannot take their little wire cutters and cut holes in the high fence just because they can't jump over it, nor do they take their little kiddie shovels and dig holes under the fence to get into your yummy produce. A friend of mine who was a wildlife officer had his own herd of deer and an elk on his private property. He had to erect a 12' wooden fence to keep them from jumping over and out of his yard. That was his only remedy to keep them safe. He did have a permit for the animals.

I feed quite a few racoons, skunks, possums, birds, etc. daily and I know they could fend for themselves very well without me, but I choose to feed them anyway. Supper at the little old lady's house everybody!

You could leave some deer goodies out for the deer on their side of the fence for them to eat so you aren't that mean by not letting them have your lucious produce. I am glad that you don't wish to have them exterminated as unfortunately the wildlife officers as a rule do not relocate deer, but shoot them instead. Thank you for not destroying them. Maybe you could give them some of the bruised or not so hot looking produce as consolation prizes for them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Deer Fence Deer Fencing Deer Repellents at DeerBusters.com

Do it Yourself Deer Control - Natural Deterrent

Are some suggestions.

But if not, deer stew or deer BBQ are the best,
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Well, it sounds as though you marinate your deer from the inside out. Seriously, this is why people should understand the need for hunting. The deer must eat, or starve. Without hunting, there would be many deer starving each year. The cost of the fence will be expensive, and someone would probably hunt your land, help rid you of the deer and feed their family all at the same time.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
    I can even start to think of where to find this product I saw but it worked. It is a green stake with about 5 prongs sticking up on the top end. You stick it in the ground add a deer attractent and when they go to take abit it gives them a small tasser shock. They learn pretty quickly that you yard is less fun than the neighbors yard, they go there. Looky here, I did find it.Wireless Deer Fence Deer Repellent Deer Control
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Hey you, I find it hard to put deer in the pest category, I prefer them on the menu. Just kidding, I know some folks do have actual problems from deer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
    I'm getting some of those deer stakes and putting beer cans on the ends of them. Next poker night should be fun. So far the best deterent for deer around my cabin is leaving the dogs loose. Winter has been so tough in northern Illinois the deer are eating tree bark, Holly and all evergreens except Blue Spruce, must be dessert.
    Winky-63 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 03:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacermb
    I have five deer that live in the neighborhood. They moved here due to new construction that demolished their home. I have a 6' chainlink fence surrounding my property but the deer have no trouble jumping it. I have a rose garden (103 roses) an orchard with apple, cherry, peach, apricot, plum, etc. trees and I grow berries. I cannot find a way to discourage the deer. Wildlife said they would come shoot them (they are not endangered) but I would rather find a peaceful way. Help !!!
    I have had my share of deer problems. I have no fence around my property. I have also tried to purchase deer resistant plants and shrubs. I have heard that placing an additional shorter fence outside the taller one with just a few feet between keeps deer from jumping the fence as they can't jump both at once. Not sure if that actually works or if it will cause bigger problems with them getting caught in between.

I have, however, used 'Dried Blood' and sprinkled it on and around my plants. It keeps deer and most other critters away. You can find it at most home and garden stores.
    Jeff Beck Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2008, 11:08 AM
    I grew up on an apple orchard and the deer were definitely a problem. One problem was they would chew the bark off newly planted apple trees which would kill the tree. One solution my dad had fairly good luck with was to spray diluted Hot Sauce on the tree trunks. I guess they don't like spicy food.
    woodpecker34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Two things I would like to suggest:
    1. Spread wire mesh fencing on the ground where the animals are crossing to get to your plants. They do not like to walk on this type of material.
    2. Get some lion manure and spread it around your property. Non carnivorous animals do not like to visit the same area where their predators are active.
    JAppleman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Not only deer but the ticks they bring had been a huge nuisance for us. We actually had this company install for us critterfence.com & haven't seen a deer inside since. We tried installing some mesh ourselves on trees but the deer paths ran too close to the fence line and they ended up knocking it down. Anyway, I don't envy anyone with a deer problem
    JohnA
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2009, 03:14 PM
    I have had a problem with deer... I tried everything urine, soap etc... the only thing that worked for me was those "scarecrows" that shoot water at them when they get into the line of site... it scares them and they move on and do not come back!!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Deer are classified as game animals. Their population needs to be kept under control. The only way to control them is predation. Since you do not want predators near your den you or some friendly neighbor predators need to step up.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jun 19, 2009, 02:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Deer are classified as game animals. Their population needs to be kept under control. The only way to control them is predation. Since you do not want predators near your den you or some friendly neighbor predators need to step up.

I agree 100% with your signature "Love is that condition in which the happiness & welfare of another becomes essential to your own." My problem is "another" would be animals for me. (Next to my human family of course.) All animals. I adore "my" deer and I take good care of a particular bunch in a local state park so tis a touchy subject a wee bit with me. I hate the whole predation process.

But anyway, yes, deer repellant. Some of my neighbors use it for their apple trees, shrubs, etc. Supposedly it works very well along with several of the other above suggestions. Some neighbors gave up and just have fake flower gardens. :D

(Been looking and trying to find where to ask and/or start a thread about hunting. Just haven't come across anything fitting yet besides "Animals." No hunting section. I'll find somewhere.)
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 02:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trmpldonagn View Post
    My problem is "another" would be animals for me. (Next to my human family of course.) All animals. I adore "my" deer and I take good care of a particular bunch in a local state park so tis a touchy subject a wee bit with me. I hate the whole predation process.

(Been looking and trying to find where to ask and/or start a thread about hunting. Just haven't come across anything fitting yet besides "Animals." No hunting section. I'll find somewhere.)
    Predation, starvation, disease: these are nature's methods of population control. Predation is kinder.

For a "Hunting" forum, I have asked the Administrators to consider a forum under "Sports"
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jun 28, 2009, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Predation, starvation, disease: these are nature's methods of population control. Predation is kinder.

For a "Hunting" forum, I have asked the Administrators to consider a forum under "Sports"
    Understood. And I didn't know that predation is kinder till I researched. The more you know... :)

Thanks.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 02:30 AM
    There is a single thread about hunting under "Other Sports." The last post is a couple of years old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Deer Meat [ 6 Answers ]

A man kills a deer and takes it home to cook for dinner. Both he and his wife decide that they won't tell the kids what kind of meat it is, but will give them a clue and let them guess. The kids were eager to know what the meat was on their plates, so they begged their dad for the clue. ...

Deer nutrition [ 3 Answers ]

What are favorite foods for deer in nature and what might attract deer to graze on our propertyÉ

Hitting a deer [ 6 Answers ]

OK, this really freaked me out, and I was wondering if it was even legal. A friend of mine was driving down one of them seasonal roads, at night, and a deer jumped out in front of him, and he did hit the deer, but just the rear of the deer, and then drove over its legs (accidently) the deer laid...

John Deer L110 [ 4 Answers ]

I took my mower apart to sharpen my blades, now I am having trouble putting it back together. Can you show me the blue print of the John Deer L110 so I can see what I did wrong

Home on the range, where the deer [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I’m not looking to bump into buffalos, but I am planning to move from California to Pennsylvania, by renting a 16ft truck and towing my cute little car. Has anyone had a similar experience and would care to share with me? I'll travel on the 80 and I'm a bit worried about getting in and out...

View more questions Search