Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Padlocks
    Hi all,

Does anyone have an "old family trick" for getting snapped off keys out of padlocks. We've moved into a rental property and this property that has a side gate that opens into the local park which we look over. Obviously this would be great to use in the summer but somebody has snapped off the key in the lock :( I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way that I could either a) get the key out the lock or b) open the padlock. I don't really want to have to get a locksmith out for a 2 minute job for them to cut off the lock.

Cheers for any input,
    Lee
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 08:05 AM
    If the broken off key fits the lock, you should be able to insert the tip of a small blade and turn the cylinder unlocking the lock. Normally I advise against spraying locks with WD-40 and other products, but it may help if you can't turn it. So may heating it. The key likely broke because the lock was stiff.

All but the best locks are easy to smash. Support the padlock with a large hammer or other heavy, solid item. Smash it with a second hammer.

When I bought this house years ago, there was a broken off key in the lock on the garage door. Eventually I realized, all I had to do was turn the cylinder. I was able to take the lock apart and make it fit another key I had. That is fairly easy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Big set of bolt cutters, ( if you don't own or can't borrow a set you can rent one at a rental center for a few hours)

And yes, if you merely hit it hard ( unless it is one of the best brands) it will just pop open. ( scarey for those using them all the time.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Hi,
    My vote goes to trying hitting it hard with a hammer (protect your eyes), striking it downward as if you are trying to pull it open.
    If that doesn't work, as another said, you can rent a larger Bolt Cutter.
    Best of luck.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 8, 2006, 05:08 PM
    The last time I had this problem, I used a Dremel with an emery cut-off wheel to simply cut the shackle (or whatever the "U"-shaped part is called).
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 04:09 PM
    If correct key is broke off, turn with small screwdriver or effective tool to turn, remove lock. Then with lock off, strike sharply on something solid to have inertia expel key.
    Its held by 5? Tiny springs. You can make extractor from small jigsaw blade.
    Insert so teeth grab key when removing. Save that little part, Locksmith or good craftsman can make key from broken part.
    Good luck
    catburgaler2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    Hi all,

Does anyone have an "old family trick" for getting snapped off keys out of padlocks. We've moved into a rental property and this property that has a side gate that opens into the local park which we look over. Obviously this would be great to use in the summer but somebody has snapped off the key in the lock :( I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way that I could either a) get the key out the lock or b) open the padlock. I don't really want to have to get a locksmith out for a 2 minute job for them to cut off the lock.

Cheers for any input,
    Lee
    I am a locksmith. If the lock is rusty forget it. Cut it off. If it seems usable the objective is to reach over the key, pushing the pins up, and snag the front of the key and work it out. We obviously have tools for this but a broken skroll saw blade would work. What ever you find for a tool should be as hard as possible. It should either have or you should make a sharp point on the bottom to snag the key with. A bent pin might work but you would need to attach a handle, like a pair of vice grips.
    Good luck
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Well, I was going to suggest bolt cutters, but you could possibly remove the nuts and bolts holding the lock in place and remove the gate latch. Then carry it to a shop of some sort and have them either cut or grind the lock off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search