Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyjordan34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Windows 98/Harddrive Question
    Good Morning,

If anyone would be able to assist me I would greatly appreciate it. My PC just stop powering on all of a sudden. I was wondering if I can just go by another hard drive or do I have to install a brand new mother board all together. In addition, is there anyway I can retrieve data from my current hard drive. My PC has FAT 32, I am a beginner when it comes to computers.

Also, I have another PC that was up and operative during a power outage. This PC powers up, but sounds as if it is trying to read from one of the drives, but there was not anything in none of the drives at the time of the power outage, Moreover, my monitor is receiving power, but nothing is appearing on it until 10 seconds later it shows on the screen Message, No Signal I have only had this PC for a year and my manufacture warranty has expired, Therefore I did not wish to pay a large sum of money to have this fixed. Please advise Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 06:21 AM
    If all you havd was a hard drive failure then the computer would still boot up but the boot up process would stop and you would see a message similar to "Error reading boot drive" or "Disk Boot Failure". The message depends on your bios.

If you turn on the computer and hear no sound at all form the power supply fan then that may be the problem. The good news would be that your data is safe on your hard drive. Simply install the HD as slave in another PC to access your data.
    tyjordan34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 09:30 PM
    My PC does boot up as normal, but it sounds like it is trying to obtain informaiton from one of the drives, and the number lock key is not lighting up on the keyboard, but the green light appears on the front of the monitor then goes back to an amber color within 3seconds any suggestions?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Could be a variety of things. You might want to consider taking it to a shop to determine the exact problem.
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Feb 8, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Pull the power out of the second PC, open it up and push down on all the chips, especially the BIOS chip. Then reseat the CPU and put the power back into the power supply and turn it on. I normally reseat the RAM as well but that's just for he sake of completeness. If this doesn't work you can get onto eBay and buy a post card for $20-$30 and it will give you an error code which you can look up in the book that will come with it. This should give you some idea about what going on. Basically your computer is getting power but it's no actually trying to boot. This is normally because it can't read the BIOS chip or get instructions from the CPU. Your monitor recognises that something that it is connected to has been powered up so it comes out of stand by but then after it receives no signal to show something on it's screen it goes back into standby. Hope this is helpful.

P.S. I also agree with NeedKarma about the other PC. I would try a new power supply in it and it could very possibly just go again. Then you don't need to try to copy all your data.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrading Windows ME (FAT32) without formatting the hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought my wife an Ipod Nano and it requires Windows 2000 w/ SP4 (or higher) to run the iTunes software. I ordered the Service Pack 4 and when it arrived, I put in the disk and the directions said that I couldn't load SP4 to the ME OS (it would have to be loaded to Windows 2000). I was...

Wondows XP, windows question [ 8 Answers ]

Recently whenever I open a window it is minimized. This happens with all previously used windows. Is there a way to set my PC so all windows will open maximized?

Hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

How do I transfer all the information from c drive to d drive?

Windows XP Professional Question [ 6 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Professional, and I was just wondering if there is a way where I can open up imesh, or winmx to download songs and then log out, but the songs will keep downloading while someone else s on the computer? Thanks.

View more questions Search