Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maritav123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 12:45 AM
    Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B
    I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired.
    The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again.
    Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees I had to pay? (I wouldn't think so, but just checking :-))
    Thanks so much for your help, this site is awesome!
    Maria
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Maria:

You cannot deduct the visa fees, but I could argue that the one-way trip back from home was a legitimate moving expense (Form 3903) to your new job.
    maritav123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Thanks a lot! This site is awesome!!
    arr164 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Maria:

You cannot deduct the visa fees, but I could argue that the one-way trip back from home was a legitimate moving expense (Form 3903) to your new job.
    See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/h1b-legal-fees-job-related-expense-itemized-deduction-176828.html
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
    I have in past posts stated that visa fees for H-1 and H-1B visas were deductible. Those posts were NOT correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Expenses on H1 B [ 3 Answers ]

I am working on W2 for a consulting company. My client is willing to pay for my expenses at client place directly to me. Can I accept checks from client directly. They are paying from expense account. Is it OK to accept checks from them while you work for another company on W2 and you...

H1B with W2 can Claim Job Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and on getting W2. But working as consultant to the Client. Can I claim job related expenses like my rental, internet and daily commute charges while filing tax.

Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My firm reimbursed $3000 of relocation expenses, but some of those included meals, househunting trip expenses etc, which are not tax-deductible under the rules I seem to be reading online. However on my w-2 in box 12, the amount is $3000. When I'm figuring out the excess of what I was reimbursed...

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search