Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jasanne Bugsy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 10:41 PM
    As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece?
    Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness protection program. No one is standing up to fight for my niece. Do I have legal rights as an aunt to see my niece or to get vistitation? I tried to get full custody and was denied. I really need help! Can someone please give me advise on what to do.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 06:29 AM
    Talk with your lawyer.

Have her live with you. That is, become a foster parent. That way she can at least live with you while you deal with the whole custody thing.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Feb 3, 2006, 10:11 PM
    I agree with captain forest
    It doesn't take much to become a foster parent
    And the girls life would probable be a lot happier with you
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 01:36 AM
    Why were you denied custody if I may ask?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 07:18 AM
    I would also have to ask why you were not given temporary custody of the child, normally they will give a responsible adult within the family custody if possible.

But you may sue for visitation rights if you want to, they do not have to allow it

Feb 5, 2006, 10:01 PM
    I was denied because I have a criminal record.
    I am working on having it remove from my record. Its was when I young and wild (19 at the time). For that same reason, I can not become a foster parent. I tried that. Can I fight for legal guardianship?
    Sosdog Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Feb 6, 2006, 12:51 PM
    It is possible for you to get custody of the child, and I would also like to know how they could have denied you. You said you have a criminal record, but if it was nonviolent and had nothing to do with child abuse then there shouldn't have been a problem.

Of course, states vary widely on this issue so yours may be tougher, but I cannot see it stopping you in any case.

If you want custody and get your record expunged then it shouldn't really be a problem I'm guessing.

Sos

Feb 6, 2006, 01:55 PM
    Thank you so much for your advise. Greatly appreciated. I am working with an attornery now to help me with guardianship. Thanks!
    adeerose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasanne Bugsy
    Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness protection program. No one is standing up to fight for my niece. Do I have legal rights as an aunt to see my niece or to get vistitation? I tried to get full custody and was denied. I really need help! Can someone please give me advise on what to do.
    I am going threw the sam thing with dcfs they are monsters. I fight for my kids every day. I hope you can afford a attorney because you need one. Start by searching about dcfs the more you know the better. Internet tells all. Good luck
    michapman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Hello I really wish they had aunt rights in Texas. My three nieces and nephew are in the custody of my brother and his mentaly ill wife. My niece was only thre whenn she was almost beat to death by my sister in law.when my brother came back from out of town he works on a oil rig he forgave her he has stated he loves her more than his kids. He has also said he will never divorce her.I wish I had taken my niece to the hospital and called the police.Now I have no evidense of abuse.I love them so very much,I prey that god keeps them alive until they can (god forgive me) but get pregnant and move in with a nice guy.Or run away to me.My brother has some alling health issues and if he dies I know she will drown my nieces or shot them.She is so sick and bipolar and schetsaphrinic and a alcoholic.Im 30 with my own house un married and no kids my house is huge and I wish they would live with me.Unfortanitly I live in a state that does not do much for child abuse and I have no rights.God bless you and always keep them in your prays.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 7, 2011, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michapman View Post
    Hello I really wish they had aunt rights in texas. My three nieces and nephew are in the custody of my brother and his mentaly ill wife. My niece was only thre whenn she was almost beat to death by my sister in law.when my brother came back from out of town he works on a oil rig he forgave her he has stated he loves her more than his kids. He has also said he will never divorce her.I wish I had taken my niece to the hospital and called the police.Now I have no evidense of abuse.I love them so very much,I prey that god keeps them alive until they can (god forgive me) but get pregnant and move in with a nice guy.Or run away to me.My brother has some alling health issues and if he dies I know she will drown my nieces or shot them.She is so sick and bipolar and schetsaphrinic and a alcholic.Im 30 with my own house un married and no kids my house is huge and i wish they would live with me.Unfortanitly I live in a state that does not do much for child abuse and I have no rights.God bless yall and always keep them in your prays.
    I was reading the first several posts in this thread until I realized that the posts were several years old. I'm glad I realized that, or else I would have wasted my time reading old, posts that have already been addressed.
    Please refrain from adding your question to an old thread from several years ago. Start your own thread instead, if you have a question.
    What was your question?

It doesn't ever hurt to pray that God intervenes. But your nieces don't need to get pregnant to remove themselves from the situation. In fact, I don't see how getting pregnant would improve their chances of getting out of an abusive home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sex offenders rights [ 10 Answers ]

My daughter's offender just served 3 years in prison for what he did to her. He was released in October 2005 and his 'level' has yet to be classified as a 1, 2, or 3. I contacted the D.A. in early December at the advice of the NYS Sex Offender Registry and was told that all arguments have been made...

What are my rights as a creditor [ 1 Answers ]

My husband went bankrupt after our divorce. I had an order for him owing me 35k, he hadn't paid for over a year, then he went bankrupt. We had not worked out a payment plan or anything, I don't think he should have been able to go bankrupt, can I fight this 2 years later? Also, he has a trustee...

Commonlaw rights [ 1 Answers ]

What rights would I be intitled to once I am married to my partner even if my name is not on the mortgage

Visitation rights [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of a new law about visitation rights for the noncustodial parent? Thanks,Roxpate

Grandparent Rights [ 8 Answers ]

I mistakenly posted this in the wrong section. Do grandparents have any legal ability to petition for visitation rights with their grandbaby if the baby's parents are married to each other and agree they do not want grandparents having access to the child?

View more questions Search