Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Feb 2, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Lived and worked in different state than spouse
    Hello All,

I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation:

-husband and wife both work and live in MA.
    -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes to PA for her job(temporary position:5month contract), and rents an apt. there.
    (both of us have CT drivers license, bank accounts in CT : so as of Dec.31st, wife considers herself resident of CT, right?)
    -husband still in CT, and wife did quit her job in December ( apt lease ended early Jan'06).

Now my questions:confused: :
    -can we file jointly a return for federal, and separately for states? Or do we have to file separately for all?
    -can we file jointly a return for federal, and also for states? (but then all the incomes are taxed in every state : husband did not live in PA at all, but would pay PA tax for example, and I would pay tax in PA and CT?

It's very confusing, and Turbotax doesn't help...
    So thank you very much for your inputs, ad good luck with your own taxes!:cool:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2006, 10:10 PM
    Yes, you can file jointly for the federal return.

Whether you file jointly in the states depends on each individual state's tax laws. You will have to file returns in MA, CT, and PA. You will owe taxes to MA for the income earned in MA. You will pay PA taxes for the money earned in PA. You will pay CT taxes for money earned in CT and PA, but CT will give you a credit for the taxes paid to PA.

You are correct. You will need professional tax help. I am available. If interested, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse resident of different state [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on green card, while my spouse is on F1. I live in California, while my spouse lives in NY. For federal tax purposes, 1. I have to use 1040 if filing jointly ? (Can I get benefit from tax treaties for my wife's income ?) 2. For California, I can file 540 NR, married filing jointly,...

Lived in NJ, worked in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again ATE, I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home). All my income was from my company in NY. Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well? ...

Lived in Florida and moved to va do I file twice? [ 7 Answers ]

I lived in Florida up until August of 2005 then moved to Virginia. I am trying to do my taxes online through H&R block and not getting any answers. Do I need to file the 2 states separate? Or can I do it all together? I really don't want to have to have a tax preparer do it and pay the $ when I...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

1099-MISC Spouse worked from home for 2 months [ 1 Answers ]

1. We are filing married jointly. 2. I have a regular job and get W2... no problem on that end:) 3. Spouse did consulting for a company for 2 months in year 2004 (wrote some computer Programs from home). She got a 1099-MISC from the company she conuslted for. The income is reported on ---...

View more questions Search