Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Drinking Water Softened Water
    We have extremely hard well water which is handled with a water softener. Because of the softener, the water has a gross texture which is unpalatable. I've been told by a water softener dealer that a reverse osmosis will make the water taste like bottled water. Is that true? I don't want to invest in a reverse osmosis, if it won't change the texture.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Hi Home skillet. Welcome to AMHD!

I got to tell you... "Reverse osmosis drinking water systems include membrane separation, activated carbon absorption and conventional filtration to reduce the entire spectrum of contaminants that can be found in water. RO systems substantially remove heavy metals, such as barium, cadmium, chromium, lead and mercury; radium 226 / 228 selenium, cysts, chlorine, salts, turbidity and more"!

Actually I copied that! :p These filters have good reputation.

Check out this site... let me know what you think... Mark

Save $20 on our Most Popular Reverse Osmosis Filter - Free Shipping - H2ODISTRIBUTORS.COM.

If answer helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you

Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2008, 08:21 PM
    What I did was to put everything on the soft water system EXCEPT for the kitchen sink cold water supply (and outside supply). That way, my drinking water is still with minerals and healthy.

Some other people will put a drinking water tap near their sink which has a filter installed under the sink. This is an expensive solution, but works well.

Knucklez

Mar 18, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Back to my original question, will a reverse osmosis make the water taste normal (i.e. non-softened)?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 02:21 PM
    According to the manufacturer of the unit I presented earlier (see website at last post) they cannot guarantee that the 5 stage reverse osmosis system will effectively reduce that softened water feel or taste... will help some, for sure, but so that there is a noticeable difference... they will not guarantee it.
    That is the best answer I can give you regarding that.

I liked Knucklez idea... run a separated water line over to a separate faucet at your kitchen sink (such as pic. Below). If pipes open in basement, could even run it over in PEX (flexible) pipe. Then install a reverse osmosis filter right under sink... that should give you some of the purest/tastiest water there is!!

You could always get the filter and try it out with the softened water (pipes are flexible to these units so real easy to change around) and if not happy with that, then run that dedicated line like knucklez suggested... I am sure you would be happy with the quality of the water after that.

Anyway.. just thinking out loud for you. Hope this helped somehow... Mark

Attached Images

Mar 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Interesting thoughts... I'll have to think about this more.

Factors to consider:

My well water is super hard. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being hard water), our water rates a 70. I add 150 lbs of salt pellets/month. That hard water could be quick death to a reverse osmosis, right?

The softener is located right off the water main, so I'd have to run a separate line approximately 75 feet to get to my kitchen sink. Plus I was planning on running it to my kitchen fridge which means hard water spots on the water dispenser.

It's going to be tough making a decision, although I might try doing a yearlong rental of an ro just to see if it makes the softened water palatable.

Thanks for all the input.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Sorry couldn't do better... that is a long run to sink.. huh?

Call some of the companies that make these reverse osmosis filters... talk to their technical department... explain what you explained here.. see what they say.

If need some names, let me know.. OK?

Apr 16, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Just had the new (rental) reverse osmosis unit installed. The water tastes much cleaner, but it still has the softened-water texture. It's a little more bearable to drink now, but I really don't like the texture.

After my 3-month agreement, I just might switch to a bottled water delivery service or keep buying the 2-1/2 gallon containers.

The extremely long run (75') from my main water line might make delivered bottled water the best drinking water alternative.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Hey HS66:

Thanks for the update!

At this point, If I was you... here is what I would do:

They sell flexible copper pipe in a coil... I would go with 3/8" OD copper refrigeration tubing since this is just for filtered water. This is sold at all home supply stores. (about $125.00 for the coil)

Then I would roll this stuff out in basement and clip it up to the joists...then drill hole under sink (5/8" or smaller) and leave one end of copper tube to hook to reverse osmosis filtered water system (leave extra tubing). The other end is left off BEFORE the water softener (leave extra tubing).

NOW you call plumber in to hook you up with a shutoff and make final connections. You will have done 90% of work... so should not cost too much! ANd now you have best of both worlds (no water softener and RO filtration)

Just one last thought for you .

Good day!. Mark
    Attached Images

rick4747 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2008, 06:47 PM
    I would want my kitchen cold and my Fridge hooked up to the hard side of your water distribution system. Another consideration would be, are your outside faucets (hosebibbs) hooked up to your soft water lines? These also should be on the hard side also.

Apr 17, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Thanks, MP08, for the advice. I didn't realize that that was an option. I really think that that will get me to where I want to go.

Rick, My hosebibs are mainly going through the water softener, but we're not using those to water outside. The new landscaping plan includes hose bibs not running through the softener. The rental RO is now hooked up to the fridge and a faucet. With MP08's suggestion, I'll get filtered unsoftened water to both. Thanks.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 11:42 AM
    You come back anytime HS66. Been fun working with you... Mark
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
    I have a 5 stage RO system under my kitchen sink, which purifies softened water. I think the water tastes every bit as good as bottled water. The system manufacturer advises the use of a water softerner, because hard water will wreck the RO membrane. Since there are no purity standards for bottled water, I think my water is better than some of the bottle water out there.

Apr 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Dr. D,

The RO water is definitely pure and clean tasting... but the texture is way different than the bottled water that I'm used to drinking. How long did it take for you to get used to the texture of the softened water? I'm on a three-month rental, so I have three months to get used to it or else it's gone.

If it's true that hard water will wreck the RO membrane, then maybe I'm back to bottled water again. I think my water test showed a hardness of around 65. I'll have to do more research on the hard water issue.

Another idea. If I crank down the softener to where it doesn't get all of the hardness out of the water (like maybe at a water hardness level of 5), will it make the texture of the water more palatable... hmmm?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 17, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Not being a hydrologist, some of your questions are beyond me. With the multitude of filters in the system, I would imagine that the resulting water approaches the purity of distilled water. When you speak of "texture", I cannot understand. I would suggest a "blind" taste test to see if subjective factors factors have clouded the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drinking water [ 3 Answers ]

My dog won't drink water what do I do

Softened Water [ 4 Answers ]

We have our water softened mainly to get the iron out. We use it for everything except drinking or making coffee. Is it healthy for our dogs to drink softened water?

Drinking water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a strange problem that I want to resolve and everybody seems to think it is in my head, but I have tried very hard to overcome it. My problem is that every time I drink water, or anything with water, I get a sore throat, which lasts for about 10 minutes after I drink, they really hurt and I...

Doxie not drinking much water [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my 8 week old doxie not drink a lot of water?:(

Hunidifier, use softened water or not? [ 1 Answers ]

The house I bought has a 49FH carrier model humidifier, which I would like to replace some time in the near future. When this one was installed they tapped the water line closer to the main connection before the water softener, is there any reason why they would do this? It looks like the hard...

View more questions Search