Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramnachiappan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 10:39 AM
    1099-MISC (Student)
    Hi,

I graduated in Dec 2007 with a MS degree in CS. I'm currently on OPT. From September 2007 to Dec 2007, in my last semester I worked as an Intern for a company in Houston. I received a stipend (which was provided to me under a 1099-MISC instead of a W-2). For the year 2007, the total amount I received from my internship was $5446. I also worked in school (on-campus) from Jan 07 - Aug 07 and they provided me the W2 (Wages $3169.2 and Federal IT withheld is $46.69).

I tried to file my tax online on TurboTax but when I enter all the information, it says I need to pay $765 to IRS because of the 1099-MISC form. Since I'm a student, I think there is another way to file so that I don't have to pay.

Also What is the US - India Tax Treaty Exemption? How do I need to file tax this year? Thank you in advance. I would really appreciate ANY help that people are willing to provide regarding this issue.

Ram
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Ram:

I assume you have already filed and have paid the money.

If so, you probably need to amend the return because, if you filed on-line, you filed INCORRECTLY as a resident alien and probably paid self-employment taxon the Form 1099-MISC income, which you are NOT required to pay.

Further, if the Houston internship required that you temporarly move from your college locale to Houston, you were allowed to claim your daily living expenses on the Schedule C, offsetting most (if not all) of the taxable income.

PM or email me at the address below if you want professional help to fix this problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

Non-Resident F-1 Student 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

I worked under an OPT for about 2 1/2 months during 06/01/07-08/15/07, as a contractor doing IT work. I received a 1099-MISC form from my employer. For Nonemployee compensation : $4715.45 I am also a citizen of South Korea. I believe we have a tax treaty with the U.S for $2000 correct? This...

1099-MISC for F-1 Student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi How does an F-1 student file taxes on 1099-MISC income. The income is around $2900. The tuition fees paid for the 2006 year is around $30000, all from student loans. No interest was paid on the student loans in 2006. Can the tuition fees be claimed as deduction? As it's 1099-MISC, standard...

F1 Student India 1099-MISC [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an f-1 student from india. I am working on campus and at a company under co-op. I changed my co-op employer in October 2006 and they have given me a 1099-MISC form. I have also recievd two w2's from my university and previous co-op employer. My income from w2's is $29000. The...

Dependent student paid with 1099-MISC [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is a 20-year-old full-time college student and as such can still be claimed on my taxes as a dependent. On her own taxes she checks the box that she can be and has been filed as a dependent to someone else's taxes. In past years all of her part-time employment has been recorded as...

View more questions Search