Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thom Futuri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Misc.
    Why do people draw a horizontal line through the number seven and when is it appropriate to do so?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Hi,
    This comes from the Z, which many draw a line through the letter Z, to keep it from looking like the number 2.
    A 7 is the same principle (although it doesn't look like a 2), and you can draw a line through it if you wish, anytime.
    Best wishes.
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Feb 2, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Drawing the line through the seven is a french custom. In the same way that their long division looks different then ours, so does the number 7.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2006, 04:38 PM
    Interesting! I have always put a line through my 7's. I also put a line through my Z's, both upper and lowercase. I've never really thought about why.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1099-MISC form from my employer. I was an F-1 visa holder under the OPT, work permit last year when I worked for two months. I have an amount in box 7 and zero for Income tax withheld. I gather, as a non-resident alien, I am filing 1040 NR, but I don't know where I am putting down this...

1099-Misc [ 4 Answers ]

I work for a real estate investment company and they had me do some odd jobs in the evenings. I posted signs and mailed flyers for them. I also received two commission checks for referring investors and a performance bonus for having a house sell at an open house. My question is why I received a...

1099 Misc not sure? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc. for money earned in assisting someone else in her clothing trunk shows in 2005. Not sure how to complete sch c for business name and if I can deduct mileage, meals, etc. that I paid for during these times. Also assist in clothes deliveries from these shows so have some...

1099-misc for h-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can a person on H-1B working for only one employer receive 1099-MISC instead of W-2 from that employer? Thanks.

F1, w-2 and 1099-Misc [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I did go across lot of threads and it helped me. But I hope I can get answers to my queries. I was on F1- status throughout last year. However I was paid on 1099-misc and w-2 by two employers. My Questions 1) Do I need to attach 1099-misc or is the employer tax id enough? ...

View more questions Search