Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Mar 16, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Why are Jews perceived as money greedy?
    Why are Jews perceived as money greedy people? Did it have something to do with the Holocaust?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Did they have something to do with the holocaust---Yep they were the victims.

Why are they perceived as money hungry? Jealousy of people that do not know how to make money and manage it as good as the Jewish do I would suppose.
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Mar 16, 2008, 02:11 PM
    There has been this charge against Jews for a long time -- according to some people it traces back to the government regulations which kept Jews in the jobs of tax collector or money lender (jobs the christians wouldn't want) but since Jews were stuck in that job, the stereotypes emerged.

In other situations, Jews had been victimized in Europe for so long that they learned to survive and be smart with their money because the future was so shaky.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Wikipedia has an interesting article on the history of moneylending, when it began, how the Jews got involved and ended up with a bad rep, and differences between cultures regarding moneylending:

Usury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2008, 02:23 PM
    This has gone on WAY before the Holocaust. Have you ever read Ivanhoe or the Merchant of Venice? Have you ever heard of the Rothschild family?

Jews have often been money lenders and bankers throughout history that's the source.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 16, 2008, 06:35 PM
    All the answers have been excellent. A couple of things I'll add. First off, in Judaism, as pertaining to finance regulations and business ethics, these are outlined in the Torah. We gather much business prudence from simple G-d given directions. Secondly, historically speaking, some of the trade guilds in Europe wouldn't permit Jewish members, therefore we took on independent merchant vending operations as a means of feeding our families and therefore later became our own financiers to the communities.

Quote Originally Posted by happy711
    Why are Jews perceived as money greedy people? Did it have something to do with the Holocaust?
    Mostly out of fear driven, jealous, uneducated, ignorance, and intolerance. Myths against Jews are usually completely backwards of fact. For example, the greed in the Holocaust was perpetuated by nazi ilk as they even took the gold capped teeth and fillings from Jews after being murdered. Sorry to be so graphic, but as a Jew it's important to me that the truth be advanced.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Sorry to be so graphic, but as a Jew it's important to me that the truth be advanced.
    No apologies needed!

(I never knew you were a Jew :D )
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Yup that's me. Curly headed, crooked nosed, and working for a credit department. Imagine that? I think I live up to most of the stereotypes. LOL! BTW the picture to the left is my son "Zakary." My wife calls that photo, "the baby Moses picture." It's one of my favorites.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Zakary is adorable and I am collecting baby pics here.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...cs-192525.html
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Mar 17, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    This has gone on WAY before the Holocaust. Have you ever read Ivanhoe or the Merchant of Venice? Have you ever heard of the Rothschild family?

Jews have often been money lenders and bankers throughout history that's the source.

And no I have never heard of those. What are they about?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2008, 07:20 PM
    I suggest you go to a library and get Ivanhoe and Merchant of Venice. If you don't want to read them, they are available on video. Just do a websearch on Rothschild family.
    bobkat4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Comment on BABRAM's post
    "the greed in the Holocaust was perpetuated by nazi ilk as they even took the gold capped teeth and fillings from Jews" - Where did the Jews get all these riches in the first place? Answer: Greed.
    BOFromH Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Comment on BABRAM's post
    "Where did the Jews get all these riches in the first place? Answer: Greed." You, sir, are an idiot. You can't be successful without being greedy? I earn in the to 10% of income in my city. Does that make me greedy, or just smarter than you?
    BOFromH Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2010, 02:22 PM
    Comment on BABRAM's post
    In fact, I would contend that those who earn their own money are the least greedy of all. Those who think I owe them something, or that I have some obligation to take care of them... those are the greedy ones.
    bobkat4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 06:56 AM
    It depends whether you frame it as "greedy" or "wanting success". Jews are work as a group similar to the Freemasons. They look out for each other and share ideas with each other, and also network hugely. If your son wants a job for example then you will know someone in the Jewish community that can help you.

They are very educated and successful. People resent them because of this. It's called Jealousy. I am now Jewish, indeed I'm an atheist, but I have been 'persecuted' before for being successful. e.g. at school I got good grades so was bullied. People with delicate egos and low self-esteem can often become haters of anyone who is more successful than them in some way.

The best way to a better life is to share information with others and work as a team. It will lead to greater success. The Jews work on this principle and if they've worked for it then they deserve it. However I am not a fan of organised religion and I'm not a fan of greed. There is some truth in the greedy rumour, but they are no more greedy than the average American so if someone is to cast the first stone then they should ask whether they would say no to being successful with money.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 09:21 AM

You cannot speak of all Jews as a group any more than you can describe all Caucasians or all African Americans as a group. Some Jews are good with money; some are not.

Generalizations are ALWAYS faulty.

I find this entire thread to be insulting and unnecessary and would feel the same were it any other word in the place of "Jew."

Isn't it about time to close this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2011, 10:20 AM

No, I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I am offended.

Generalizations are NOT the way of the World in my corner of the World. Maybe they are in yours. Maybe that's the way of the World in your profession. It's not in mine.

I'm NOT getting over it. If more people would stand up instead of "getting over it" there would be less bigotry in the World.

And for the record I'm not Jewish - I just find this type of generalization to be offensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too greedy? [ 9 Answers ]

I always keep my virginity as a man, so that one day I could find a wife who is still a virgin. I always keep improving my life, my knowledge, so that one day I could find a wife who has the same knowledge and life as mine. I always keep my body and face looks good, so that one day I could...

Greedy Toyota [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Toyota Raum with a 1500cc engine, auto transmission and 4 wheel drive. Proble is the fuel consumption... on average, urban running returns roughly 10.6 kilometers per litre. On the highway I get around 13 km per litre. Am concerned with the consumption as it is way too high. I have...

Orthodox Jews and the Handling of Money by Women [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I work for a major mail order retailer and on several occasions I have assisted Jewish customers with orders. On these orders women have given me all the product information and I have gone over costs, shipping, delivery, etc. When it is time for them to give me the credit card information,...

Am I being greedy? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone! So my husband and I moved to TX just this past March from NC. He did 8 years in the corps. He's from IN and I'm from OH. I've been with him in NC since 04. Anyway, we go home for X-Mas every year and it works out great because our families are only 5 hours apart despite being in...

View more questions Search