Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Mar 16, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Veterinary medicine use in humans?
    I am wondering if there is any books or publications that would be useful in the subject of using veterinary medical supplies and medications in humans in an emergency situation. Medicines would include anti-fungals, antibiotics etc and supplies would include syringes, staples and suture kits. Any info appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
    A person trained in medical care will know what they are. There are various medciations that are used in animals that are actually used for humans ( and a lot more that are not) and of course in an emergancy situation, I have seen regular needles and fishing line used to sew up wounds. ** out in the wilderness.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 09:41 AM
    I hope you are not trying to do surgery or something like that :(
    I know that animals take amoxocillin as humans do but I don't know what the difference in it might be, maybe the dosage?
    I would be super careful of something like this and check each thing out thouroughly.
    I have a feeling IF it is interchangeable between animals and humans it would be more toward the animals using the human medicines. But possibly it can be the other way around like with hylaronic acid.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Mar 16, 2008, 11:25 AM
    So, Fr Chuck, are you saying I should get a general background in regular medicine and then apply that knowledge to use with veterinary medical supplies? So maybe a set of textbooks used for a college nursing course? Or a book on pharmaceuticals? Or is there one good book that would say it all?

And no, don't worry, I'm not asking because I want to save a buck on surgery or something! I am a preparedness-minded person and I have already learned a lot in other areas such as growing foods, raising animals for meat, canning, preparing my home for power outages... basically everything I would need to be able to do to survive in emergency situations where regular services like gas, electric and grocery stores are not available. I know First Aid very well, but would like to get more in depth on medical emergency situations, and if Dr's and hospitals are unavailable I'd like to be able to perform in the situation for myself and others. From having animals, I know that antibiotics and other medicines are available for purchase through a veterinary supply catalog without any kind of prescription.
    usaneill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Merck Veterinary Manual has a detailed section on pharmacology. If you have the will to learn it, you can learn enough easily. I know many people who have used veterinary meds for decades following the weight guidelines and symptomology guides. It is really a shame that people have to resort to this. I have even known of licensed vets using the meds for decades... not abusing... but USING the medicine for their intended use.
    usaneill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 08:48 AM
    Merck Veterinary Manual has a pharmacology section that is easy to use and learn from if one wants to apply themselves. I know of many people using vet meds for decades with no harmful side effects. Most of the vets that I know ONLY use the vet meds. They use the meds for their intended purpose, NOT abusing the drugs or their privileges. And I think that to say the drugs are not the same or less than are part of a phallacy system. No drug company is going to risk a lawsuit because a million dollar Walking Horse or race horse is injured.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an online Veterinary Assistance Program be a good thing? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking into an online veterinary assistance program. I am wondering if it is really a good idea or not. The program is through Ashworth University. If anyone has any information please let me know. Thanks.

Veterinary college: good undergrad programs? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is a freshman in HS now and has her heart set on becoming a vet. I'm wondering what colleges would offer good undergraduate programs to help her get into Vet school (which I've heard is even more competitive than Med school)? We are in the Midwest. Thanks!

Veterinary Schools [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get a list from best to worst colleges and Universities to attend for Veterinary Degrees. Maybe, some extra info as well on a broad term as to what is available in the United States for schools that I can obtain a degree as a veterinarian. Preferably what is available in Texas to start with....

About veterinary hospitals in Maine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I work for a veterinarian who does several things that we, her employees, are questioning. The possible violations range from using expired drugs on animals who are in the clinic for medical emergencies (like Lasix that had gone brown when it's supposed to be clear) to stealing back...

Facts Veterinary Medicine? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm very interested in veterinary medicine, while I'm still in high school I know I have quite some time. Can someone please tell me the estimated normal annual salary of a vet? And the requirements, like bachelors degree in what? ANd what is the main major for a vet? Thanks!

View more questions Search