Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joseph1430 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Feb 2, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Hard Water
    Hello everyone. I live in the northeast and may be dealing with hard water/ calcifications in our well water. I was wondering if there were any ways of treating our water besides using a softener. It seems like a lot of people are not happy w/ their softeners. I plan on buying a kit to test our water. On the internet I see there are other treatment devices but I am naturally skeptical. Any input would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Water softeners are an ion exchange system. Water flows through a bed of beads. The beads have large numbers of sodium and chloride ions on them. Water coming in with some calcium, carbonate, and other ions are mostly replaced with the larger number of sodium and chlorine ions. Before too many calcium ions start coming thorough, the bed is recharged with brine flushing the calcium out again leaving mostly sodium. The calcium carbonate is replaced with the more soluble sodium chloride.

Specialized deionizing systems can replace the calcium ions and the carbonate ion with H3O+ OH- in separate beds which then combine to form more water. The calcium carbonate is replaced with more water. Those systems must be recharged with an acid and a base.

Another system is reverse osmosis. Pressure is used to force the water through a membrane it can go through, but not the calcium or carbonate ions. Small units for drinking water are common.

I would be willing to look at links to the whole house deionizer systems or reverse osmosis. I am sort of interested in an alternative to the softener myself, but checking them out is one more thing I don't get done because the time I waste here.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2006, 08:01 AM
    " checking them out is one more thing I don't get done because the time I waste here."

Labman, I want you to know that in AMHD your time is never wasted. Your comments and opinions are a valuable asset to this site. In my book you,(and many others here) are multi talented because you answer in so many categories while I'm confined to just one. I won't allow you to put your presence on this site down as "wasted" because it's simply not true.
    Now, would you like to go back and correct that statement? Regards, Tom
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2006, 10:36 AM
    I second that - but can't do so with a Comment...

I'm no psychic (don't see me posting on the Psychic Board do you? :p ) but I have to think labman was joking.

I do not believe that one minute of labman's day is wasted time.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Thanks. You are much more supportive about this than my wife.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Thanks. You are much more supportive about this than my wife.
    But then we ain't sleeping with you either. LOL! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Is this really that hard to do [ 4 Answers ]

I have a girlfriend and she has a child that is not mine we have talked about marriage and having a child.The question I have is I love her child he has a father but not a "Dad" do men in my situation think about when they have their own child that they might play "favorites" with their own flesh...

Trying to hard? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a male trying to find a female. I would like to find someone to love and have a familly with. My friends stay stop looking and it will come. I stop looking for 3 weeks then I start looking again because nothing is happening. I can't even seem to meet women never mind find 1 worth...

View more questions Search