Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afreedle95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Replacing 6 wire thermostat with 5 wire thermostat
    I currently have a Magic Chef Model 34154C001 thermostat for an electrical heating and cooling system. This model has 6 wires included:

W - White
    R - Red
    G - Green
    Y - Yellow
    O - Orange
    C - Black

I purchased a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat that only has 5 connections. The connections are:

Rh
    Rc
    W
    Y
    G

How do I connect this new thermostat? I know I'm just a chick but how do you get 6 wires into 5 holes?

Thanks!!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 07:36 PM
    The instructions included with new thermostats are pretty good with regard to cross over wiring.
    What do they say?

I think if you have six now you will need a new six wire t-stat.
    afreedle95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Unfortunately, the directions only go over 3, 4, and 5 wire configurations. Any other suggestions?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 09:07 AM
    You may have to get another t-stat. I would try an HVAC supply house. I doubt you'll get one at the Depot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing 3-wire thermostat with Honeywell RTH230B [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a White Rodgers 1E35-910 thermostat with a Honeywell RTH230B. Three wires, labeled W, R, and Y were connected to terminals 4, 5, and 6, respectively on the old thermostat. I have a baseboard hot water heating system. Connecting 4&5 opens the zone valve (White Rodgers...

Hooking up a new thermostat but old thermostat has a white and a black wire? [ 2 Answers ]

Everything I look at indicates a white and red wire for the connecting wires. Our thermostat is probably original to our home (1943). It has two wires. It is difficult to tell but it looks like one is a white wire and the other is black. I've tried looking on the internet for some info however...

Replacing old 5-wire 120v thermostat to Digital [ 1 Answers ]

Wow- what an awesome resource this site is... I am glad I found it. Ok... I have an old HoneyWell 5 wire, line voltage, 120v thermostat (T651E 1000 8049), which runs the HVAC air/heat system in my condo. It is broken, and I would like to replace it with a digital thermostat, but I can't...

5-wire thermostat - LOST a few wire labels. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a programmable thermostat (upgrading from a previous programmable that wasn't to our liking. When taking the old thermostat off, I noticed 4 of the 5 wires were labelled. That's a good thing. HOWEVER, when I took the old baseplate off, 2 of the labels fell off (not sure from...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search