What is a title insurance?
    JOARCHER Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
    What is a title insurance
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Insurance on your title.

OK, if you are buying a home, you purchase title insurance to cover the title of your home, in case there would be unforseen claims against it.
    They will do a complete title search first of course to see if there are any issues known. But you never know when a sale 15 years ago, perhaps the exwife did not sign a waiver and her heir upon her death files suit for a claim on the home. ** used for example, but many unknown factors in deeds.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Title insurance is an insurance policy that covers all aspects of your ownership of property. The title company does a title search to make sure that the previous owners have validly transferred the property, making sure that your ownership will be considered clear. The title company also searches for any prior or current liens against the property that might affect your ownership. Those liens can include mortgages, legal judgments, real estate taxes or income taxes, water or sewer liens, etc.

They will also review the survey of the property lines to see if there are any encroachments by neighbors, or if your improvements (house, deck, outbuildings, patios, driveways, fences, etc.) are encroaching on neighboring property.

Once the searches are completed and you pay the premium they will issue an insurance policy that says your title is clear and they will defend you (and pay you) if anyone comes along who has a better claim of ownership than you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New York State Disability Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

Are NY SDI payments deductible on Schedule A of the 1040 as health insurance payments? They are paid by the employee with before-tax dollars and appear on the W2 in Box 14. I think I read somewhere that the IRS does not accept them as a deductible item, but my Tax preparer colleagues disagree. ...

401k going to real state investment [ 1 Answers ]

:confuseThak you for your help My wife has some money in her 401 k Now is not longer working for the same company and now she wants to take her 401k money and use it in real state . She wants invest some money in real state but she dosen't want a pay the penalty in taxes . There is any way...

Moving out of state; can I take insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm getting an individual policy through the guaranteed issue clause right now, and am wondering if I will be able to keep my plan if and when I move out of state. I have a preexisting condition, so I will be rejected for individual plans, and I read that you only get the guaranteed issue...

Will Insurance Cover In My State? [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in VA. However, I live in WV. Will the new company's plan (Blue Cross) be accepted at the physicians we use here in WV? Thanks for any input.

View more questions Search