Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Cooking wine vs dry red wine
    Hi all:

Thank you for reading/responding to this post.

I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help appreciated.. Thank you... Mark
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Cooking wine usually tastes different than regular wine, sweeter, and a different texture, so to speak. I would say to just purchase a dry red wine, and not use the cooking wine, because it will produce a different flavor than the recipe creator intended.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Thank you Charlotte... we just went out and purchased the dry red wine... Turns out the cooking wine has 1tsp salt per cup... YUK! Thank you for your input. Good day! Mark
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Good luck with your soup!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Wow I never knew there was such a thing as bought cooking wine! I always thought it was just the leftover wine that was a bit too vinagary to drink. You learn something new everyday.
    Happy cooking :)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 02:10 AM
    Cooking wine has addatives also pretty revolting but you should remember when cooking with any alcaholic beverage the alcahol has to be burnt off to gain the best flavour.
    Just don't do what I did and put the 20 dollar wine in the spag bol I wasn't popular hehehehe well we were drinking it so where was the harm I say might as well eat it as well ;)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Hi all:

Update... Roasted onions, garlic, thyme, S&P for 30 minutes @450, then deglazed the roasting pan with 1.5 cups wine in oven another 15 minutes, then to stove top with 8 cups beef stock... simmered 30 minutes. A little gruy'ere and swiss cheese broiled over crouton... The best onion soup I ever had!

If anyone wants complete recipe... let me know. Thanks for positive input all!

Mark.
    noss Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Hello massplumber (Mark). I'm new here and have been looking for a good onion soup recipe and I would like to have your recipe. Not sure how to go about things yet, but I enjoyed reading the posts. :D Thanks, Vee
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 31, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Hi Noss:

Check out this link...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cookin...g-56553-3.html

You should just need to scroll down to POST #102.

I think I stumbled on a keeper! Please let us know what you think! :)

Mark

May 31, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting the recipe and supplying the link to it. That was kind of you.

This is one oniony recipe and looks scrumptious. I will try it next time my husband is on break.

I'm so glad I found this site where I can talk with people about such things because I don't drink alcoholic beverages, but like the taste in cooking.

Noss

May 31, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Does anyone have a good recipe for a mushroom/onion/red wine sauce for steak? I've made a sauce with these ingredients before, but was just winging it. I also put garlic in it one time.

Thanks,

Noss
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Hey again Noss:

Hey, I was glad to post it for you!

Also, just wanted you to know that only me, curlyben'swife, templelane and charlotte234s will get the question you just posted.

We are all keyed to this question by having "subscribed" to it (in other words I asked a question and these guys answered it). Therefore, they will be notified something happened at this question and they may be able to help you.

You are better off going to the COOKING FORUM and posting your question again so EVERYONE that comes into cooking can see it.

That way you will get most responses! Good luck! Let me know if you guys liked the recipe when hubby returns... ;)

Mark

Jun 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Oh, OK. Thanks for letting me know. I may get the hang of this site yet. I hope... :)

Jun 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Now I'm really feeling stupid, but I can't find anything that says Cooking Forum. Is that the same as Ask about Cooking? I've looked all over and can't find the answer to this question. I went to Ask about Cooking and asked if anyone had a good recipe for the mushroom/wine sauce, but when I looked to see if it showed up, it wasn't there. Oh dear, please bear with me.

Thanks,

noss
    mymemine Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 04:48 PM
    I have always been told if you won't drink it than do not cook with it!
    ijoe619 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 10:40 AM
    chocolate

This is one oniony recipe and looks scrumptious. I will try it next time my husband is on break.

I'm so glad I found this site where I can talk with people about such things because I don't drink alcoholic beverages, but like the taste in cooking.
    RubyMittal Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
    Cooking Wine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spanish Red Wine? [ 1 Answers ]

A gal I am dating right now likes a Spanish Red Wine. I want to give her a wine bottle as gift. Could you recommend me the best Spanish Red Wine/s? I am looking for something in $30-$50 price range. AM

Red Wine [ 5 Answers ]

After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

Cooking with wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know why when cooking with wine my sauce comes out bitter. Is it because I didn't cook long enough? David

View more questions Search