Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    personanongrata Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Rude comments about my grey hair
    I apologize if this is not the correct forum. I'm a new user and I thought this forum was closest to my topic.

I'm a 37-year-old guy, and I have a lot of grey hair coming in. I work as a lawyer, and I guess I get a lot of stress in my life. Anyway, I was at a wedding and met some relatives on my wife's side that I had never met before. I was making small talk with this older guy, he was in his 50's and had snow white hair. As way of background, I am the type of guy who is painfully polite to others; I would never think about being rude or insulting them, especially strangers. Barely 1 minute into our conversation, he looks at me and says "You look awfully young to have so much grey hair." This isn't the first time I've heard this comment about my hair. Ever since I was 20, some people have felt the urge to make unsolicited comments about my hair. They just blurt it out, like I'm unaware or something. Anyway, I tried to laugh it off, make a joke of it, but it really bothers me when people do that. My sister in law has also cracked jokes about my hair.

How do I handle people who make rude comments about my grey hair. :(
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Personally, I think grey hair is distinguished, dashing, 007-ish and sexy, but other people don't agree.

If the comments about your hair bother you too much, you can always fix it by coloring your grey... Its good that it is a "fixable" thing - if you don't want to put up with it, you can change it in a few minutes.

But honestly, I think you should just tell them that you like it and your wife likes it, that's all that matters.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 10:58 AM
    I have had a few friends in my life that started graying in their 20's
    I, as History chick said, thought the guys I knew looked really distinguished with gray hair,
    The girls I knew only had less than 10% gray.

I would laugh it off saying "that just goes to show how much stress people have me under"

Some people claim they have reversed gray hair with PABA, biotin, inositol, and other vitamins for hair.
    Gray Hair Remedies
    Reverse Gray Hair with Shampoos and Hair Vitamins

But it depends largely on WHY you turned gray.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Ha, your sister in law may be keeping "Ms. Clairol" in business dying her hair. Ever notice any "grey roots" on her head? Don't let it get to you, it is just natural.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
    You could always tell them that the hair color is a requirement for your job? Or if you really want to get them going, tell them they better not say that too loudly because you had to sue the last person who mentioned it...

One more thought... it's just all the gray matter of your brains forcing their way to the surface since they ran out of room inside?

Guess I'm going to have to start using a few of these ideas myself as my grays are getting some more notice lately...
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 09:44 PM
    Shave your head and put in a nose ring. No one will even notice you then.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Shave your head and put in a nose ring. No one will even notice you then.
    I don't think anybody would even WANT to mess with him then!
    Magprob: You are right up my alley!
    Don't know Y I didn't think of THAT!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 05:56 AM
    I salt and peppered early. It looks good I think. Those imbeciles that make comments like the ones you mention usually get my standard response: "better this than the other alternative - having more face to wash". It works especially well if the other side has thinning hair. :)
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 02:26 AM
    How very sad rude people can be. And is in my top ten list of things that can get to me.
    Men with salt and pepper hair are... HOT!! I am not just saying that. I never was one for little boy blue. Hubby does indeed have more face to wash :), and is hotter then hot :).

I don't mean to be unkind, but I bet if you stepped outside of the situation, and took a walk, I would be you could come up with 5 things that YOU do not like about the rude person. Rude being one of them. Soemtimes, I classify it with social retardation. Not trying to be funny at all. There are people who were born, and grew up and do not have the natural skills of how to interact in a social setting nor were they taught. They are lacking social skills.

I am 5' 11 female, and you would be horrified by what some say. Rude? Please.
    The ONLY reason why it zaps me now, is because I got my height from my Dad, who has passed on... and I miss him. And that's basically what I say - "Thanks" I love my height too, I got it from my Dad, and I am so grateful".

I don't like people today :(

But just know there are people in this world that don't like who they are inside and will project it onto anyone passing by, just to try and relieve their own internal pain.

My Cousin was 100% - gray, I think in his early 30's . Beautiful hair. He was HOT too.

Sadly, you will come across more folks like this here and there, not even about your hair, it could be anything, but try and focus on the root as to why they are saying it, not what they are saying.

Allheart.
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Mar 17, 2008, 02:32 AM
    I have a friend who is in her late 20s and she has grey hair I once commented on it and she just turned around and said yeah but if you did not dye yours how much would you have. Needless to say that shut me up
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 03:10 AM
    I too agree that the salt and pepper look is distinguished and dashing.

I have relatives,male and female with a bit more touch of grey than most people their age, never thought it odd.
    I have an aunt with a full head of grey hair,someday I hope my hair looks like that:).

If it bothers you why not try a shade of grey colouring for your hair, white hair sometimes looks so much better than dark hair on some.

Allheart is right,it is the insecurity of those who comment that really shows.
    Maybe you should ask them if they are jealous of your hair!
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2008, 05:41 AM
    I like the salt and pepper or a platinum shade
    personanongrata Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Thank you everybody for the helpful feedback. From your stories and advice, I see I'm not the only one who has to suffer through stuff like this. :)

Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    tell them they better not say that too loudly because you had to sue the last person who mentioned it...
    Thanks for making my day. That made me LOL! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grey hair? [ 6 Answers ]

I decided that I was sick of having roots show so I wanted to dye my bleached blonde hair to the color at my roots (dusty blonde). I can't afford to go to a color stylist at the moment but I figured since I'd be going darker (and matching to my scalp color) it'd be an easy process. I chose the...

Hair Coloring - Dying auburn hair with grey roots [ 2 Answers ]

Any advice for dying already dyed auburn hair with massive grey roots. I heard that using an ash color will diminish the brassiness.

Hiding Grey Hair [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm 30, natural dark brunette. I've had a couple of heart operations, last one being 8yrs ago. I'm confident my health is back on board but and I can live with all the scars but through all the body's stress of the op's my hair is rapidly greying. Initially I could get away with...

I want my grey hair back! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,I am a 47 year young man and recently decided to dye my hair.My hair was a silver/grey and I went with a medium/dark brown.Also did the Just for Men beard color and am having allergic reactions to that after using it several times.What can I do to get my grey back without having to spend an...

View more questions Search