Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Hun, I know how uncomfortable the last few weeks of pregnancy can be. I did it 4 times, a glutton for punishment 4 times!! LOL

But, it was after the children were born that I said I loved every second of pregnancy, and I did, I could do without the aches and pains. But seeing the first smile, having baby fall asleep in my arms... I would suffer the last few months over and over again.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Mar 15, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Even when I was pregnant, I enjoyed it... but not all of it. Pregnancy is so hard on your body, and there were a lot of days that I would just tell my husband I wanted the baby out! It's no easy task creating another human being. You certainly aren't less of a woman or a mom for feeling that way. Just try your best to enjoy while you can, because once you deliver you will miss being pregnant. I know you probably don't believe it, but those first couple of days you will miss the kicks and movements that let you know everything is okay.

I had a vaginal delivery, with some complications, but I am so glad I was able to deliver naturally. If there had been an emergency or the baby was breech I obviously would have been okay with c-section for the baby's sake. For most women c-sections are much harder on the body and it takes longer for your body to heal. I was slightly sore for two days after delivery, but I had more pain throughout my entire body from pushing than I did vaginally. I had no problems sitting. I had no tearing and no episiotomy, and now days most doctors don't do them unless absolutely necessary. I asked my doc how often he did episiotomies and I think he said it was only about 5% of the time. Anyway, just make sure to talk to your doctor about all the options and possibilities. Some women prefer natural and some prefer c-sect, but you never really know until you go through it. Until then, try your best to enjoy being pregnant. Pretty soon you'll have a newborn, you'll worry constantly, and even though you'll be able to lay in bed comfortably you still won't get any sleep. The lack of sleep will go away soon enough, but the constant worry never does!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by automansgirl
    The lack of sleep will go away soon enough, but the constant worry never does!
    LOL - I didn't sleep a full night until my kids were out of the house, in college or on their own!
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 15, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Babies can flip to breech even during active labor, if small enough within the womb. Which is not usual, but it happens. Your doctor will take another ultrasound and decide what is best for the baby at that time. At 29 weeks, it is a bit premature to worry about the what-if's. Your MD is taking an inventory poll on what your baby may do or not do according to his/her size at this time and actual position at this time.
    And you have every right to feel uncomfortable about the possibility of having to have a C-section. It is normal to feel this way. If I were you, I would call the MD and ask to speak with him to hopefully calm your fears and make him aware of your wishes.
    Usually, after 8 hours of hard labor in a L&D room, a mother is more than happy to have a C-section. That is if the baby has not been physically affected due to the stress of labor, itself. After 8 hours, stress on both mother and baby become more evident in most instances and doctors decide upon C-section. Unless, the baby is breech in the last month of pregnancy. Than a C-Section is planned and most of the time, you will be able to even pick the date of birth and schedule your babies future birthday celebration date. You have at least another 8 weeks before the MD usually will tell you one way or another how the plan of action will take place for your babies birth. In either delivery, it has its triumphs and pitfalls. Just ask any woman who has endured labor for longer than 8 hours with intensity. And without their baby becoming hypoxic or stressed. Which means without oxygen. Then ask some mothers who underwent C-sections. You will find that not many decide to V-Bac, even with the MD option, which means try labor again before planning a C-section with their second child's delivery. Most of them, never want to chance enduring a long labor again, only to have the same possible outcome.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 15, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    It sounds as if you have a "high risk" pregnancy. Do what the doctor says.

It would be unsafe to have the baby at home. However, episiotomy...That is when they widen the vaginal opening...In Sweden the episiotomy rate is about 2%. In the USA it is about 98%. The women are close to the same size, so, go figure.
    Speaking just on the episiotomy.. it is done by a scalpel - a straight cut.. and 'razor' cuts like that take a lot longer to bind and heal again. It used to be mandatory in military hospitals until a study resulted in reports that even after years, the scar tissue would cause problems, i.e. itching and burning and swelling on hot days, so it is no longer mandatory because normal tears or ripping during birth heals faster and better without subsequent problems for most women.

J_9, as usual, is currect in suggesting that the longer the baby stays in, the better for it's development. To add to conditions she mentioned.. I was born in the 8th month and did not develop all of my 2d teeth - so that is just one example of the dangers of being born too early - and I was also born with a heart problem, my bones did not develop right and I have pain 24 hrs a day from my spine. I don't think any mother wants that for her child..

When my daughter went in to have my grandson, she did not plan on a C-Section, but after 5 hours and danger of stress to the baby, he had a 'sunroof' birth. They are both wonderful and happy - and so am I.

You are NOT bad in thinking it would be nice not to be pregnant anymore, and finally wanting it to happen - we all think that way at times and it's normal. We all want the same results - a good outcome and a happy baby.

Talk to your doctor for all the reassurance you need, and remember, we are here to help too.

Good luck dear, and keep us posted.

Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Good to see you Chery!! Glad you piped in here. I forgot about the episiotomy. Most doctors I work for don't even do them any more. They do a perineal massage that slowly and gently stretches the perineum so that an episiotomy is not required.

They only do episiotomies these days if the baby seems to large to fit through the birth canal without a little extra room.

And, no dear, you are no less of a woman or mother to be feeling the way you are. We all go through feelings of ambivalence during pregnancy at one stage or another. It is very natural to be feeling the way you are.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 15, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Hey, J... good to see you too.

With your expertise and this site, women are luckier than before. They get more experience and free information and a lot more patience than at the doctor's office most of the time.

With all the information collected from personal and professional experience here - they can't go wrong, and that's why I'm glad that AMHD exists and grateful to be a part of it.

I think the more we remember and pass on, the better young moms-to-be can be reassured that they came to the right place.

Hope you and the family are doing fine and that you will have a relaxing weekend.

XXXOOO.
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Mar 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Well I have another question why are women induced before their due date? As well can my baby be lying side ways? The reason why I am asking is because when the doctor tries to find the heartbeat it is always below my belly button, but I only feel movement below my belly button never above.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
    The baby can be in what is called transverse lie, which means he/she is lying sideways, that is always a possibility. But again, you still have a lot of time for the baby to turn.

Why do they induce early? Usually it is due to dangers to the health of the baby and/or mother. Some instances would be oligohydramnios, which means too little amniotic fluid (this happened to me with my 3rd child)... fetal stress as evidenced by a stress test. This would mean that the doctor gives a little pitocin to induce some slight contractions. When mom has a contraction and the baby's heartbeat decreases by a certain number of beats, baby is in distress and needs to be delivered.

Another reason would be PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension (preeclampsia)) or Eclampsia where Mom's blood pressure has skyrocketed so high both the baby's and the mother's lives are in danger.

There are many other reasons, but those are the most common.

Mar 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Oh I see I figured the baby maybe lying side ways just because I only feel it kick or move on that one side.
    My friends and family have told me different things on how to dress the baby for the first few days, because the baby is due in late May my husband and I have gotten little outfits that don't always have the legs covered up. Should the baby have it's legs covered all time? I know that seems like a silly question but I am not sure what to do.
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
    You do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you're hot, baby's going to be hot. If your cold... well, you got the point.

You see babies are sensitive to temperature changes, but primarily in the first few days of life. Other than that, they have the same body temp we do 98.6F, and should be treated as such.

If it's warm, I don't know where you live, and you wrap the baby up too warmly, you risk overheating him/her.

Now, if you're like me, I can't stand the heat and keep my air way low and it gets pretty cold in the house, I would wrap baby up a bit.

But for the most part, when you are comfortable at a certain temp, dress baby the same way you would be dressed. If it's cool, however, always remember to keep head and feet covered as this is where most heat is lost.

Mar 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Yah that sounds good see why can't you be sister in law? I could just call when I needed something. As well what about a baby positioner do you need one or no?
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Baby positioner?

Mar 15, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Ya you put in the crib maybe we just have that in canada so the baby doesn't roll
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Oh, no, baby won't roll for around 3 months.

Always but baby back to bed. That means put baby on his or her back when putting it to bed. A positioner isn't necessary.

The less you have in the crib the less chance of suffocation.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davejag
    I am 29 weeks pregnant and my baby only moves below my belly button, and mostly on my right side. When I went to my doctors appointment today he told me he can't tell if the baby is breech or not. He told me that we'll have to wait for another two weeks, and then if he still can't tell, I will have to have another ultrasound. Why can't he tell where the head of the baby is? If the doctor says the baby is breech does that mean I have to have a
    C-section? Does the baby still have time to turn? At what point would they do the C-section? I am just a bit worried I hope some one can help thanks.
    Other reasons it can be difficult to determine baby's position are the amount of amniotic fluid at the time, location of the placenta, how rigid mom's belly is at the time, and not being able to decern body parts.

As the others have said, you have plenty of time. At this stage, most babies are still deciding where they are most comfortable... :) Most will be head down by 34 weeks, and even more so by 36 weeks. Certainly some turn later, but it is not as common. If baby were to be breech at 34-36 weeks, you have several options to try and encourage baby to move head down. I have had two moms recently go from breech and transverse to vertex with help from their chiropractor who is trained in using the Webster technique. There are a number of positions you can use as well, and some unsual possibilities using water, sound, and light... as well as the possibility of your doctor performing an external version. The success rate of which again depends on baby's position, placenta location, and your doctor's experience. Some will attempt it, some won't bother.

Very few OBs these days have a good deal of experience in breech deliveries... and the training is pretty minimal. There are a number of techniques for this, but not too many parents want to have their doctor get additional practice on them! While you might have the option with subsequent babies, depending on the sort of breech presentation and the doctor's comfort and experience level, it is not common with a first birth.

Just to add to what J_9 mentioned about reasons for inductions... two more that are becoming increasingly common are "big baby" syndrome and going passed due dates. There is great debate on just how medically necessary either are unless true concerns are present. Birthing babies has become increasingly expensive for many OBs, causing some to get out of catching babies altogether. Currently there is a more medically managed system in place... hence another reason for the increase in the last number of years.

Mar 15, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Oh, no, baby won't roll for around 3 months.

Always but baby back to bed. That means put baby on his or her back when putting it to bed. A positioner isn't necessary.

The less you have in the crib the less chance of suffocation.

At what point do you recommend putting the baby in the crib for the night, I thought maybe after a month or two what do you think?
    Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Where you going to put baby before then? I put all 4 of mine in their crib as soon as we got home. Had to "teach" them to sleep in their own rooms from the get go. LOL

I did have a bassinet, but it was downstairs with me where the babies would sleep during the day so that I did not have to go up and down the stairs.

Mar 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC
    Other reasons why it can be difficult to determine baby's position are the amount of amniotic fluid at the time, location of the placenta, how rigid mom's belly is at the time, and not being able to decern body parts.

As the others have said, you have plenty of time. At this stage, most babies are still deciding where they are most comfortable....:) Most will be head down by 34 weeks, and even more so by 36 weeks. Certainly some turn later, but it is not as common. If baby were to be breech at 34-36 weeks, you have several options to try and encourage baby to move head down. I have had two moms recently go from breech and transverse to vertex with help from their chiropractor who is trained in using the Webster technique. There are a number of positions you can use as well, and some unsual possibilities using water, sound, and light....as well as the possibility of your doctor performing an external version. The success rate of which again depends on baby's position, placenta location, and your doctor's experience. Some will attempt it, some won't bother.

Very few OBs these days have a good deal of experience in breech deliveries....and the training is pretty minimal. There are a number of techniques for this, but not too many parents want to have their doctor get additional practice on them! While you might have the option with sbsequent babies, depending on the sort of breech presentation and the doctor's comfort and experience level, it is not common with a first birth.

Just to add to what J_9 mentioned about reasons for inductions.....two more that are becoming increasingly common are "big baby" syndrome and going passed due dates. There is great debate on just how medically necessary either are unless true concerns are present. Birthing babies has become increasingly expensive for many OBs, causing some to get out of catching babies altogether. Currently there is a more medically managed system in place...hence another reason for the increase in the last number of years.

So how does a doctor know how big the baby is or how much it weighs? You said big baby syndrome how does that come about? As well why did my doctor just seem so concerned about if the baby was breech or not, I mean after hearing everyone answers there is no concern yet right?

Mar 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Where ya gonna put baby before then? I put all 4 of mine in their crib as soon as we got home. Had to "teach" them to sleep in their own rooms from the get go. LOL

I did have a bassinet, but it was downstairs with me where the babies would sleep during the day so that I did not have to go up and down the stairs.

Well I was going to put it in a bassinet beside my bed for the first little while, but your right the kid has to learn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Naming your baby after the doctor? [ 14 Answers ]

So I'd like to give everyone an update the baby is fine so far we have our 7th ultrasound tomorrow ( due to the bleeding a few days ago), but so far everything looks good. So now to my question my wife has come up with this really "great " idea ( note that great is in quotes). She now thinks we...

Breech Baby, really bad Rib Ache [ 5 Answers ]

I am 32 weeks Pregnant and my widwife has told me that me Baby is in the breech position. I have been sufferinf for the last 3-4 weeks with really bad aches in the right hand side of my ribs (under my breast) and in my back, am sure there gonne pop out. Are these pains normal.. even with a breech...

Baby measuring smaller/doctor update [ 14 Answers ]

Well guys I had my second doctor visit today! The baby is too cute and looks more human and we could see the heart beating... doctor said we would listen to it next time! It measures 27cm crown to rump! The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the doctor said the baby measured to be at 9...

Breech bαby [ 16 Answers ]

I'm 38 weeks αnd 5 dαys. I went to the doctor this morning αnd αppαrently my little girl decided to turn αround αnd is now breech... I'm getting α scheduαled c- section... I definαtely did not wαnt it to go this wαy.. hαs αnyone gone through this? αny αdvice.. I'm so sαd:(

Breech of contract by realtor [ 2 Answers ]

Is there legitimate cause for a claim that I can make for remuneration because the listing realtor did not advertise the home--in the paper, or on the internet--except for his own website. In addition, would not list the house because it was "March" and insisted we wait until May, when home buying...

View more questions Search