Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mitun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 07:45 PM
    F1-H1 conversion tax related queston
    I entered the US on te 30th of Dec 2004, during the year 2007 from the 1st of Jan to the 1st of Oct I was on OPT and my employeer deducted SSN and Medicare taxes and then I was converted to H1 on the 1st of Oct'07. Will I be able to get back the SSN and Medcare I paid for during my OPT period (Jan-Oct) if "Yes",please let me know how? And if "No" please let me know why? I would deeply appreciate your reply. Thank you in advance. Let me know if I need to be more specific.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Yes, you CAN get the Social Security and Medicare taxes back that was improperly withheld during your OPT period.

First, you must request that the employer refund these taxes. When they refused (which they will because the tax year has been closed), get the refusal in writing, preferably on company letterhead.

You then submit Form 843 with the refusal letter and other support documents as specified on Page 49 of IRS Pub 519.

It will take about two months, but, eventually, you will get your money IF the IRS agrees with the request. Make note of that: the refund is NOT GUARANTEED. The IRS can and has refused to grant the refund, often for non-valid reasons. The refusal CAN be appealed, often successfully, but the costs make such an appeal problematic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Write off health related expenses on Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell me please or provide information as to if I can write off some of the health related expenses (specifically expenses on medications, hospital visits for outpatient surgery or copays). Or what kind of health related expenses I can write off and what is the criteria to qualify to...

Tax related questions [ 1 Answers ]

If my daughter turned 18 in May, 2007 and graduated from High School in June & lived with me for half the year, can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes? Also - Is her college tuition for the second half of 2007 a tax write-off for me?

Tax Related Doubts [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you very much for the answer. But one more doubt my wife's earnings doesn't come under the taxable limit. 1) is there any need to show that my wife is working. 2) I hope as u mentioned in this year is it like that I don't have to pay tax. Ashok:) :) :)

Many Questions related to H1 - Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Tax Experts, I have many un answered questions. Any help by answering them is highly appreciated. 1) I am full time for a consulting company A (I get 5 day leave, 5 sick leave and paid for US holidays only 6 days, and 50% of the medical benefits for family ). And this...

View more questions Search