Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cprater Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Better to file bankruptcy?
    I have recently been given notice that one of my cc companies is garnishing my wages. My credit is ruined right now (probably in the low 500's) and I have several collection accounts on my credit report. Would it be better if I just filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy? It probably wouldn't hurt my credit rating any more than all the other derogatory things on my credit. I'm still going to have to suffer for the next 10 years. At least with Chapter 13 I can start repaying these people back without the threat of garnishment or judgements. What do you think?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Chapter 7 is better than 13 unless you are going to pay back at more than 70 percent ( determined by your income and budget to debts)

The way Chapter 13 is treated, if the payback is lower than 70 percent, it is actually treated under the new laws much like the chapter 7 as to the rules of refiling.

So if the majoriy of the debts are all credit cards, consider the 7, the 13 will not make you look any better unless you are paying a higher percentage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I am $30,000 in DEBT I have 3 small kids ranging in age from 11-5 years old. I am a current student going for my associates only 28 years old I have one job making $9.00/hr. I don't see how I will ever be able to pay off this debt they r not credit card debts. I've got school loans and so on. I'm...

Being sued, while trying to file bankruptcy [ 5 Answers ]

I just received notice today that I'm being sued by citifinancial of whom I had two loans through. I haven't made any payments in the last two months, nor to any of my creditors (there are many). Im trying to file chapter 7 bankruptcy and I'm wondering what kind of time table I'm looking at and if...

How often can you file bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

If I filed bankruptcy 5 years ago, can I file again. It was a chapter 7

Process of file bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I have major credit cards debt that I tries apply w. credit consolation which I am unable to afford paying.. I need to know what is processor to file bankruptcy. Since I have good credits but now I'm so much in debt and can't afford continues to pay month to month payment...

View more questions Search