Post trial balance
    Post trial balance?
    carolynmiddlebrooks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 07:14 PM
    What is a permanent account
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 11:11 PM
    A permanent account is one that keeps its balance going into a new accounting period, as opposed to one that closes out and starts over at zero.

Revenues, expenses and drawing/dividend are temporary accounts. For instance, if you have revenue, you want to know what it is for this year, and you don't want it accumulating year after year. Just like your paychecks -- they start over at zero each year, and you need for the amount to be contained within one year.

Whereas something like a cash account doesn't start at zero for a new year and accumulate throughout the year. It comes and goes, and it has a different balance at any given point in time. At the end of the year, it will have a balance, which needs to carry through to the new year. If the company has $10,000 in cash, then they actually do have it, and it doesn't net back out to zero just because a new year started. All asset and liabilities are permanent accounts. And most equity accounts are permanent also.

As for "post trial balance?" -- what exactly is the question? That's a thing, not a question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Post Closing Trial Balance [ 7 Answers ]

I am taking business accounting and need some extra help with it. I have to prepare a post closing trial balance, and not sure how to do it, my book doesn't explain how to do it very well. Debits Cash 13000 Shop supplies 1200 Prepaid insurance 1950 Equipment 48000 Ted Dunwood,...

Post Closing Trial Balance [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys , Is there anything called Closing Trial balance? If yes, how can I find it out? :confused:

Post closing trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

Is this how I do the post closing trial balance? Cash debit 6695 Accounts rec debit 1000 Supplies debit 1320 Prepaid rent debit 1650 Prepaid insurance debit 1650 Office equipment debit 9000 Accumulated depreciation credit 250 Accounts payable credit 900

View more questions Search