Ask
    trashmanwoburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Rabie Shots
    When Are Puppies Suppose To Get There First Rabie Shot
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2006, 04:32 PM
    If you wait until 6 months, it should be good for a year. Some states require one by 4 months. I am sure your local vet knows the local law. Go with what he wants. I think there may be a trend away from so many shots.

I finally have my 4 month old Nita past the constant running to the vet for shots. I will get a rabies reminder in time for 6 months.
    MCory Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 04:53 PM
    The first Rabies vaccination should be at 12 weeks of age and you should get at least 2-5 distemper, parvo, Lepto, Corona virus boosters before they are 5 months old. The boosters come in what is called a combine or cocktail, meaning its about 7-8 antibody builders in one shot, depending on the brand your vet uses. You should also avoid public areas or dog parks until at least 2 weeks after you final distemper booster, because these viruses are transmitted through the fecal matter of other dogs, raccoons, opossums and squirels. And as I'm sure you are aware dog's love fecal matter. The 2 weeks allows your animal to build up the antibodies in its system. And any rabies shot is good for one year no matter how old the animal is. So get the rabies for legalities but get distemper boosters so your animal stays healthy, those are the bugs your animal WILL meet up with. I don't there has been a documented case of rabies in domestic animals in 14 or 15 years.
    MCory Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 05:01 PM
    The first rabies shot can be given as early as 12 weeks old. Distemper boosters should be given at 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks and 20 weeks. You should avoid dog parks and public areas with your pup until about 2 weeks after the 16 week shot so your pup can build up the antibodies to face the world. If you can't afford them all get a t least 2 distemper boosters because some is better than none.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 05:36 PM
    I dug out the vaccination schedule I was given for my 4 month old Nita. It called for 3 DHLPP, 2 Bordetella, and a rabies. She is the 15'th puppy my family has raised for a large dog guide school. They breed about 300 puppies a year and foster them out until a year old. Likely their recommendations are as reliable as the above. Many knowledgeable people feel we have gone too far with vaccinations and are cutting back. I don't intend to take up a lot of time debating this or digging up websites to support my position. I just want to say the above is not the only authoritative position.
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Feb 6, 2006, 09:04 PM
    I pretty much went with my vet's recommendation on when I got all the vaccinations for my dog. I figured he was the expert in the matter, since he's seen more animals in his office over the years than I probably have in my life. She never got any of those terrible diseases she was vaccinated against, so I guess it turned out all right. I agree with labman. Just go with what your vet wants.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 05:31 AM
    Thanks for your reasoned post. I am sitting out the debate on immunization. Unless somebody has done a study of it, I will continue to say work with your local vet. If he seems to be going to extremes in one direction or another, perhaps check with others in the area. I think my local vet goes over board with parvo shots, but it is not a big issue with me. Certainly as much as I am out in public with puppies as young as 7 weeks, I want to leave as small as possible windows when they are vulnerable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabie shot for Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a couple of dogs that I inherited a couple of years ago. They had their rabies shots when given to me. Can anyone tell me how often are dogs suppose to receive these shots?

Question on shots [ 5 Answers ]

I am giving away one of my dogs. Her name is skippy. This dog just showed up on our farm as a stray, and I am not longer able to take care of her, due to being in college and about 3 hrs away. I have had her for a few years, but have not kept her up on her shots. Now the family that I am going to...

2 rabie shots in one year [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I just moved from TX to WI and took my Pug in to meet the vet and get any shots he might need. I had my previous vet fax all his paperwork to the new vet. Well, the new vet gave my Pug a rabies shot and after I got home and talked to my boyfriend (who still lives in TX) he informed me...

Rabie Shot reaction? [ 2 Answers ]

I had my two 4 month old doxies in to the vets today for there 2nd kennel cough shot and their first rabie shot. Since we have gotten home both pups are yelping each time we pick them up, and they have been shaking for 2 hours. Is this normal after these shots, or are they having a reaction, I'm...

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search