Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckleckner Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Getting away from parents (BLACKMAIL)
    I've been dating this girl for 10+ months and I'm deeply in love with her and she to me. But her parents found out that we have been having sex. She is 16 and I am 19. Her parents are blackmailing her to break up with me or they will press charges and send me to jail for about 3-5 yrs. She feels this is tearing her apart and she doesnt want to be around her parents anymore. She wants to get imancipated, knowing she will be able to hold her own job and she is an A student in school. What are the rules to get imancipated in the state of Minnesota? Is there anything that can get her away from her parents?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 02:24 PM
    First you have to understand that you as an adult can go to jail for a very long time. Becoming independent is not a simple thing to do. It will involve lawyers, judges, and the entire court system. IF she were my daughter, you would already be in jail. Sorry, but you opened up this can of worms and now be prepared for the rath.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 03:35 PM
    You can't disagree with other people's description of what they would do. It IS what they would do. Putting the boyfriend in jail is done to get the girl away from the boy AND because he committed a crime against a minor child. This isn't an opinion, you did that. You are guilty of that. If charges are pressed, you go to jail. Period.

Going to jail is only half the problem, the other half is registering as a sex offender for REST OF YOUR LIFE everywhere you try to live.

So, snap out of it, stop trying to get your way and STAY OUT OF JAIL. You do that by cutting off your relationship with this girl for 2 years. Then, start it up again. You're out of jail and she's an adult.

Use your head, not your emotions. This is your reality, fight it at your own peril.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 13, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I know this isn't what you want to hear. But the bottom line is, you broke the law. And as far as the law is concerned, they don't care how in love you are, or that she was OK with the sex. The law simply says that this was illegal. The parents are giving you a chance by not reporting this to the police right away. I know it seems horrible to you and your girlfriend right now, but many parents would have turned you in right away. They are giving you a chance by saying "stay away from her and you won't have to be a registered sex offender for the rest of your life" . They want to protect their daughter. Like I said, I know it isn't what you want to hear, but it's the cold hard facts of the situation.

This is something you should talk to a lawyer about, in case they change their mind and decide to press charges anyway. If you don't stay away from her, you will be facing jail and sex offender status. Some counseling might help you deal with all this as well. Once again, the bottom line is YOU BROKE THE LAW. Take the chance her parents are offering you and stay out of jail.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 03:45 PM
    First stop seeing her and stay out of jail. you sitting in jail and listed as a child molester for the rest of your life is not worth it.

First the minute she starts to file, they merely charge you,

She will have to have enough money saved to pay her rent, electric, have a job and more and show a reason her parents are a threat to her.
    Sound like proteting her from a adult is not abuse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I tell my parents ? [ 7 Answers ]

Can any 1 help me I'm so scared and nervous to tell my parents I want to sing but I don't no how I'm scared they won't like my voice or they don't take me seriously can any 1 help ? Please

My parents [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know how do I go about finding my birth parents

How do we get her parents to let us go out alone together? [ 8 Answers ]

We've talked about and found a soulution to my high sex drive. We love each other and don't know how to tell her mom. Its been four months and it seems quick and we know that but we want to stay together no matter what. Her mom won't let us go on dates or even hang out together. We got caught...

How to tell her parents? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm dating a stright a student who is like the perfect daughter. Her parents don't know about me.. I hope... I want to take her to the movies for our 1st month since we started going out... her parents are mean.. and I don't want to get her in trouble... what do I do?

Unstated Blackmail [ 1 Answers ]

I'm confused about unstated blackmail. There is no case against it, correct? No one can claim that they were being blackmailed if there was never a black mail note, right?

View more questions Search