Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shamir ali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Withholding Tax of US company while working from Pakistan
    Hi,

Currently I am providing software development services from Pakistan (offshore) to a U.S.A based software development company, and they are saying that they will withhold 30% of the amount which is agreed between us for my services.

I am also paying income tax in Pakistan, do they really need to withhold this amount or is there any examption from U.S.A point of view or anything can help for the reduction of 30% amount?

I have found following Tax Treaty agreement between Pakistan/U.S.A but I am unable to understand it correctly.

Regards,
    Shamir
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Shamir:

No money should be withheld from your payment, because your income, being earned OUTSIDE of the U.S. is NOT subject to U.S. income taxes.

It is probably too late to stop the withholding, so you will need to fle Form 1040NR to get the withholding back, but for 2008 and beyond, NO money should be withheld.
    alinasim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 01:45 PM
    Hi there. I've pretty much a similar scenario i.e. I'm a software company in Pakistan receiving payment from a US company. The customer in the US asked me to fill W-8 form in order to get withholding tax exemption. I'm a bit confused on the following items on the W-8 form:

8. References
    9. I certify that (check all that apply) a, b, c, d, e .I've checked (a) and (c). Do I need to check (e) as well?

10. The beneficial owner is claiming the provisions of Article of the -----------------------
    Treaty identified on line 9a above to claim a ------- % rate of withholding on (specify type of income):...
    Explain the reasons the beneficial owner meets the terms of the treaty article:...

The type of income is SOFTWARE EXPORT and rate I've mentioned is 0... but I'm not sure of which Article to mention and what reasons to specify.

11) [checkbox] I have provided or will provide a statement that identifies those notional principal contracts from which the income is not effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States. I agree to update this statement as required.

Should I check this point 11?

Thanks in advance. A prompt response is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Ali
    alinasim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 01:47 PM

BTWS The form I'm filling is: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Withholding tax for a resident of a different state [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Consultants, I live in Arlington, VA and I am about to employ a part time babysitter in my house. The babysitter lives and attends school in Washington, DC. My questions are: 1) what do I need to do to establish myself as an Employer? 2) as an Employer which state tax do I need...

Tax withholding for F1 visa holder on OPT [ 5 Answers ]

I just finished my education from Atlanta and while on an F1 visa will start working in NYC under my OPT at the end of which I will leave the country and return to India. While I was working on campus, I did not have to pay state taxes and the federal taxes that were deducted at source would be...

Washington D.C. Income Tax Withholding? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently working in D.C. supposedly to be a temp. assignment, which will last for about 30 days. I am home based in Mass. My question is: Will my income be subjected to D.C. income tax withholding and required to file a D.C. income tax return? Thank you!

Tax withholding from a non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Dear all, I was a G-4 visa holder from 1991 till Feb 2000 and left the USA in Feb 2000. I hold the 401(K) account in the USA but could not withdraw money or close the account then since I was only 56 then. When I want to close the account now (I am 62 now) the administrator says that...

View more questions Search