Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ernbar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 02:58 PM
    I wrote a book! Now what do I do?
    I have wrote a book about a *********** career and do not know what to do next.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet, by stating********** as its name!

The book might have some possible criminal content included! Is there a way to get it published without being jailed for true stories that may implicate workers crimes that were done at the min. 6 years ago?

I don't mean murder or physcial abuse crimes!

I thought I had heard about after 7 years, you can not be held responceable for a crime you committed before then?

Also, should I use fake names instead of the real peoples names to portect myself against liable or any other lawsuite?
    Changing the names would not change the story!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2006, 04:06 PM
    If you use real names, all the facts will have to be easy to prove, or of course they can sue you, so if you are saying so and so robed this store or took this money, unless they were arrested and convicted they could sue you. So fake names yes, change the city where it happens, everything

Next you send it to publisher after publisher till you find one that may publish it.

Of you pay to have it self published by one of the 100's of publishing companies that do it. A Yahoo or Google search of self publishing will supplyyou more than enough people to do it.
    paradoks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Regarding your book, I think chuck's response was solid and worth paying attention to.
    The only thing I might not do, is change the name of the city. I believe the city a story is set in can be as important as one of your main characters. Also, I would not use profanity in the title. This will most likely limit its exposure, and make it difficult for the book to be referred too in many professional situations.
    Like chuck, I am not a professional, but I do take great interest in writing as an aspiring novelist myself. I have been published in magazines (non profilt) and as a personal interest collect many crime fact and crime fiction books. If you are referring to a crime that is factual and convictions have been made, much of this information is in the public domain. If you refer to these facts as they occurred, I cannot see there being a problem, but again, I am not a professional, and I do not want to steer you wrong.

I believe the wisest course of action would be to change names, and alter certain facts of the crimes you will refer to so as to steer clear of any legal complications. If your book is published, publishers and their firms will have all the knowledge and expertise you require.
    They have legal advisors/teams, editors, proof readers etc. once in their hands you will have little cause for concern. Just be careful in your decision to go with a publisher. I am more adept in the field of music, and I suspect many of the same principles would apply.
    If offered a contract, or asked to sign any form of agreement, I would take this to a qualified legal practitioner.
    Best of luck in your goal of being published, writing is one of my most cherished interests, and I share your dream of one day having serious work published.

Good luck
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 7, 2006, 01:19 PM
    First- do you belong to a writer's group? Take a class? Ever gone to a writer's conference?

If you go to the nearest bookstore and buy a copy of Writer's Digest or The Writer, etc... they have advertisements for writer's conferences and seminars. Conferences are sponsored by colleges, writing groups (like Myster Writers of America, Sisters-In-Crime). There is usually a conference going on anywhere in the USA at any given time.

Also- buy a copy of Writer's Market. It is a big book that identifies most of the publishers in the USA, what they are looking for, submission guidelines, etc. It will give you a big boost in the information you need.

At these programs, you can meet agents, editors, get hints, tips and advice on how to submit your proposal, possible legal advice.

The advice we always give: write, submit, rewrite, resubmit.
    Mooshie Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 08:44 PM
    If you want to try to get this published by a reputable publishing firm, you need to:
    1. Get your manuscript professionally edited before you submit it to publishers or agents. (You are going to need to present yourself in as credible a way as possible to get people to pay attention to you.)
    2. If you do get the interest of an agent or publisher, be completely honest and detailed about the events you lay out in your book. Be prepared to have proof to back up your claims.
    3. If your manuscript is taken on by an agent or acquired by a publisher, reassert all info about "facts" that you claim in the book--IN WRITING. In other words, you want to say, "I said on page 12 that Joe Blow stole $2 million from the company, and here's why I am sure that's true, but I have no documentation to prove it." Or whatever. Given the whole James Frey debacle, please remember that it is the publisher's responsibility to fact check your work. To verify, to the best of their ability given the references and resources available, that what you said is true. It is NOT their responsibility to PROVE that what you said is true. And every single publishing contract has an indemnity clause that holds you and you alone responsible for the content of the work.

If you're thinking of self-publishing... I would recommend that you don't. Just don't. It sounds as though you are setting yourself up for major lawsuits (both libel and slander), and, just... don't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is my book [ 1 Answers ]

I have install this excel program for almost 10 yrs now and been working fine until last week... I was working on a September program book that I save my work day on everyday and I do back up at the end of the month... on September 15 I tried to open my book and the book is nowhere to be find .I...

CSS e-Book [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am in need of an Advanced CSS e-Book. Any links would help me a lot. Sincere Regards Shaikh M. Zaid.

Who wrote it and where is it? [ 2 Answers ]

It was one of the first romance novels I ever read. The name of the book was " Dark Water". Its about a young native american woman called Darkwater who has lost her beloved husband and finds love once again to a mountain man. On the cover of the book is the most beautifull woman I have ever...

Title to a book [ 1 Answers ]

A while back I was told of a book about a boy who has an "imaginary" friend Mr. Beasley, but he is really the devil. That is all I have. I thought it would be simple cause I was told the title was "Mr. Beasley", but when I try to look it up, I get nothing. I don't believe anyone else knew that it...

View more questions Search