Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shibby Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 09:51 AM
    I want to forget!
    What is the best possible way that is most likely to work, to get amnesia?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Do you want a safe or dangerous way?

Hypnotism I think would work.

Dangerous ways...
    Alcohol poisoning
    Extasy (drugs over the counter ones if mixed the right way. I take night quill and I'mout for hours and can't remember much of anything if I'm tiard enough)
    A nice bonk on the head... could cause brain damage though.

I'd suggest the safe way.. it dosen't lead to permament brain damage.

Mar 13, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Like yea safe would be good, I've done ecstasy couple of times, lol still remember everythin, like I want to forget everythinggggggggggggggggggggggggg family, friends, even who I am.

You really think hypnotism would work?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Safest way
    Hop on a plane to tropical Island
    Rename yourself Tropical Breeze
    Insist you were evolved from a sea shell
    And have no human parents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
    You have to remember (pun intended) that your memories are more than who you are, where you live, etc. Speech, reading, math etc. are all part of your memories. To forget everything would mean reverting back to infancy, you would have to go back to diapers until you were potty trained. Of course this means that you wouldn't be able to take care of yourself, so would need a guardian appointed for you.

Mar 13, 2008, 11:55 AM
    How about like forgetting my memories excludin like knowledge, words etc... like amnesia yea? Any possible way?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Amnesia IS "forgetting" all your memories. But memories are never removed except if you incure brain damage to the memory centers in your brain. And we don't know enough about how memories are stored to be that selective in destroying memories.

What you think you want is a partial amnesia. That can occur do to brain damage, but generally, its not really forgetting, but suppressing memories because of some trauma. So what you really want is to suppress memories and for that hypnosis is probably your best bet.
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Amnesia occurs when the portion of the brain responsible for retrieving stored memories is somehow compromised. This region of the brain is known as the limbic system. It comprises the hippocampus, the amygdala, and portions of the cortex.

People are amnesiac when the memory retrieval portion of the limbic system isn't working properly but there is otherwise NO CHANGE IN LANGUAGE;, attention span, visual/spatial functioning, or motivation.

Memories are not actually stored in the limbic system or the hippocampus. Rather, several areas of the brain are involved in memory; the type of information being assimilated determines where it is stored. For example, visual and auditory patterns are stored in the temporal lobe, whereas the PARIETAL LOBE stores language, speech, word usage, and comprehension.

There are two types of memory. Short-term or “working” memory stores information one needs to remember in the next few seconds, minutes, or hours (e.g. a telephone number or driving directions).

Long-term memory includes relational and procedural memory. Relational memory is concerned with relationships among objects and depends on the hippocampus. In amnesia, both relational memory and short-term memory may be impaired. Procedural memory represents memory for single objects or tasks (e.g. riding a bicycle) and depends on cortical processors that remain intact in amnesia. This helps explain why amnesiacs often remember basic skills and motor function.

But there is no guarantee what your memories would or would not include if you were able to self induce amnesia.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 03:01 PM
    No, you will need to learn to deal with what ever it was you did that makes you want to forget. You need to learn from our mistakes, if we forget we our bound to redo the mistakes.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 13, 2008, 03:08 PM
    No, you can't make yourself forget most likely. If you are having trouble dealing with painful memories or something like that, counseling might help you.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 06:01 PM
    You have to let the troublesome memories see the light of day with a good therapist, then they will lose their power to upset you!

Start building positive memories by making a life full of activity, hobbies, friends, education... all positive stuff makes for happy memories!!

Mar 13, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Thanks for your posts guys.

I'm at uni in london right now and was wondering, do hypnotists who do this kind of stuff actually exist here? Haha
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
    You need to do like choux said and learn how to deal with things.
    Maybe take a vacation

Guess what too.
    If you could forget your family and loved ones
    Since your memory would be erased of your history you would go searching for it and want it back cause you wouldn't remember that you purposely didn't want to remember.
    If the hypnotist told you that you told him you didn't want to remember you would feel as though a conspiracy of identity theft and nobody wants to be truthful.
    So you would have a whole new set of problems trying to get back your old problems.

Mar 13, 2008, 10:12 PM
    I'm only 17 my friend, can't afford a vacation, I'm in first year university and yea... but I won't go looking for my old problems ill leave myself a note or smth with a picture of me writing the note
    Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 07:34 AM
    It could... but you never really forget everything. And at anytime you can start to remember. Even brain damaged peoplple can begin to remember stuff over time, look at that guy who had brain surgery and then remembered everything all at once... nothing is certain.

Sorry but I'm on the same boat as you. 17 and in college and it sucks being the youngest. It's not that bad, and sometimes vacations are simpler than you think, for me just getting the chance to watch TV, read a book, or surf the net is a vacation... because quite frankly I have no life since college started either and no money. Anyway why do you care if your friend can't afford a vacation, that's not your problem is it?. unless you want her to go away??
    But don't be immature... it can't be that bad, I mean life's tough you just have to deal with it. You know?

Sorry if I come off as errrr rude but just trying to stop you from forgeting who you are or doing something you'll later regret.

Mar 14, 2008, 10:08 AM
    My other post where I said I'm 17 my friend I was talking about nohelp4u not my ex lol but hey you didn't come off rude don't worry but yea I guess dealing with it is another option but I think forgetting some of it is a lot better
    Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Yea forgetting something's would be nice.

Here's some hypnotherapists in Enlgland, just have to search through and find one where you are http://www.hypnotherapysociety.com/f...pist/index.htm

Just putting this out there but I don't think they'll wipe your entire memory... sounds stupid but there's probably a law or something.

Good luck... I think

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't you forget about me [ 3 Answers ]

Who is this song by from Breakfast Club Who is this song by? "Don't you forget about me" from Breakfast Club. Who is the Artist?

Cannot forget [ 3 Answers ]

This girl stays in my apartment and happens to be my friend's elder sister.she is from a good conservative indian family.I often visit them and we play games some time.I am madly in love with this girl,cannot stop thinking about her.my engeering entrance examination are coming in three months and I...

Never forget you [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the lyrics to the song Never Forget You by Holly Long. It was featured in a movie with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen

I can't forget him [ 4 Answers ]

About 2 years ago my 8 year old boyfriend broke up with me. He was the man of my life, we'd been together since I was almost 16 and I practically come to this country just for him. We've never stop seen each other really; sometimes he calls me, sometimes its me, but the true is that he only do it...

View more questions Search