Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smarttart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 08:59 AM
    How to get into Harvard Business School
    Hello,
    I'm a sophomore in college and will be finishing my AA degree with about a 3.5 GPA this Spring. I'll be transferring to a state university and after getting my BA in Business, I'd like to apply to either Harvard Business and/or Sloan. However, I'm a little uninformed as to how I would meet their expectations of students. I will be expecting to get about a 3.75 GPA at the university I'll be attending, and I'm looking into a faculty-led trip to China during my latter college years there, but what else can I do to make myself "stand out" from the nearly 80% of applicants that are rejected? I've looked into the GMAT and although I haven't taken a practice test or anything of that sort, I plan on studying (and taking multiple tests, if necessary) to score above the 700 mark. Any other suggestions that would tip the scale in my favor? Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 09:40 AM
    You might want to get a job first and apply after a year or two experience in the business world. Harvard or any of the top B schools want students who can bring their work experiences to class. That's why the average age of the incoming business school class is around 27 or so (maybe higher? I'm not sure the exact number). Try and build a strong resume that shows elements of leadership, ability to work with people, and some success in the business world.
    SBU Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2008, 09:30 PM
    You are too early in your college career to limit yourself to Harvard and Sloan. First decide what you want to do and then make a decision. If you want to be a young CEO immediately out of college with a small to medium sized business go to Harvard or UMass. If you want to get into international business go to Thunderbird (yes, its legit and an excellent school). If you want to become an executive right out of college go to Northwestern. While having a plan is necessary make sure your decisions are well informed and legit, and maybe they are and you have already decided what you want to do in which case good for you and I hope you get in to either Harvard or Sloan. But otherwise you are inhibiting yourself. I am going to be graduating soon and I have changed my major twice and changed my desired career paths over and over again. However, all of these changes have still been within my original goals.

Also realize that these elite schools are looking for work experience. If you can get in while you are in school than great, if not than get a good job for a year or two. Realize that every legit applicant to these schools already has a great GPA and high GMAT scores and even lots of extra curriculars with relevant organizations. These things do not make you unique. It all comes down to two things: what you know and who you know. During my college years I have tried to develop both of these things. Don't just look for the great internships. I am studying Entrepreneurial Management. To build my resume` I have been independently consulting small businesses for free. This accomplishes three things: Builds my network, creates great references, and gives me the necessary experience. I am even working with an angel investor to start a small business of my own to get even more experience. I would recommend you do similar things that apply to your major or what you want to do. Sure, I have no time for myself and get very little sleep, but who sleep's in college anyway? If you want to read more I actually was blogging about this yesterday here Resume` Building.

Anyway, sorry if the answer was lengthy I just feel passionately that a lot of business students are hurting themselves by not realizing that it is more than an education and good GPA you need to truly reach your potential. Good Luck and if you have anymore questions just ask here or comment on my blog.
    Vivek Agarwal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SBU View Post
    You are too early in your college career to limit yourself to Harvard and Sloan. First decide what you want to do and then make a decision. If you want to be a young CEO immediately out of college with a small to medium sized business go to Harvard or UMass. If you want to get into international business go to Thunderbird (yes, its legit and an excellent school). If you want to become an executive right out of college go to Northwestern. While having a plan is necessary make sure your decisions are well informed and legit, and maybe they are and you have already decided what you want to do in which case good for you and I hope you get in to either Harvard or Sloan. But otherwise you are inhibiting yourself. I am going to be graduating soon and I have changed my major twice and changed my desired career paths over and over again. However, all of these changes have still been within my original goals.

Also realize that these elite schools are looking for work experience. If you can get in while you are in school than great, if not than get a good job for a year or two. Realize that every legit applicant to these schools already has a great GPA and high GMAT scores and even lots of extra curriculars with relevant organizations. These things do not make you unique. It all comes down to two things: what you know and who you know. During my college years I have tried to develop both of these things. Don't just look for the great internships. I am studying Entrepreneurial Management. To build my resume` I have been independently consulting small businesses for free. This accomplishes three things: Builds my network, creates great references, and gives me the necessary experience. I am even working with an angel investor to start a small business of my own to get even more experience. I would recommend you do similar things that apply to your major or what you want to do. Sure, I have no time for myself and get very little sleep, but who sleep's in college anyways? If you want to read more I actually was blogging about this yesterday here Resume` Building.

Anyways, sorry if the answer was lengthy I just feel passionately that a lot of business students are hurting themselves by not realizing that it is more than an education and good GPA you need to truly reach your potential. Good Luck and if you have anymore questions just ask here or comment on my blog.
    Hi Steves,
    I am an HBS aspirant. Preparing GMAT currently and along with that I want to build up a strong profile that can me a worth for HBS. Your link Resume Building is no more active.

It would be appreciable if you can share your thoughts on Profile building.
    Thanks in advance.
    TOJoe Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SBU View Post
    To build my resume` I have been independently consulting small businesses for free. This accomplishes three things: Builds my network, creates great references, and gives me the necessary experience. I am even working with an angel investor to start a small business of my own to get even more experience. I would recommend you do similar things that apply to your major or what you want to do. Sure, I have no time for myself and get very little sleep, but who sleep's in college anyways? If you want to read more I actually was blogging about this yesterday here Resume` Building.

Anyways, sorry if the answer was lengthy I just feel passionately that a lot of business students are hurting themselves by not realizing that it is more than an education and good GPA you need to truly reach your potential. Good Luck and if you have anymore questions just ask here or comment on my blog.
    Hey SBU... I am thinking about doing the same thing in terms of offering free consultation to get that experience. My question is, does it matter if you're specific with the industry or as long as your helping business development? For example, consulting a restaurant on efficiency, working with real estate developers or homeowners on renovation strategy, or assisting in event planning.

I have experience in all those fields but want to do International Business and am going back to university to do a diploma (and get my GPA up). Will also be looking at internships and extra ciricular but wanted to develop some pro-bono consulting experience as well. What are your thoughts?
    Musa89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 12:16 PM

Always use the doors.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Musa89 View Post
    Always use the doors.

Maybe you don't realize that this is a adult site - this is an unnecessary comment.
    TechAngel Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 12:49 PM

Consulting small businesses in anticipation of strengthening your business school application is a nice approach, however you should aim to maximise the value of the experience, to you and to them, while you do it. So think carefully about what sort of businesses you intend to advise, in which industry sectors, in which stage of development (seed, start-up, growth), and what measurable value will you be contributing? Ideally all the threads would come together so that your pro-bono experience demonstrates some consistent themes about your passion for a particular field of business, and that business school is important for your further development because.. .
    Elik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Hey, I'm Elchin an international student living in Washingotn DC, goin' to Strayer University for my BBA. I'm willing to apply to HBS too,I've done a lot for researches, I've contacted several people studying there or working in admission. Admission people told me that work experience is not reqired, but its obvious that they mainly seeking students that have leadership ability and the best way to show leadership ability is to have good work experience.
    That's why I;ve established my own company in my home country in the city of Baku, Azerbaijan. I'm doing education abroad issues, I go to school at time I manage my company I run it from overseas. It's a little bit hard, especially druring mid-term, and final exams. BUt I hope it's going to be helpful for me to get into harvard business school.
    p.s. international students must have excellent toefl score, at least 109. And good gmat ,(I think more than 700)

Www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/classprofile.html

Www.hbs.edu/mba/studentlife/clubs.html

You can get more information on these web pages listed above.

And there is one more thing that can be useful for you. Harvard University offers VUS(visiting undergraduate students) program that you can apply go and study at harvard for 1 or 2 semesters. You don't get harvard bachelor diploma but it will be great experience. You can get more information about it on this web page: http://admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/vus/index.html

I hope it was helpful,

Elchin.A
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 08:16 PM

The OP has not been on line since March 2008.

Time to close?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Transcripts from a closed business school [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find my transcripts to a business school that closed?

Praxis Business School [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hello every one! Has any body any idea anything about the "Praxis Business School" recently opened this year in Kolkata that too I heard very near to IIM, Kolkata..?

Taxes for a post-doc in harvard [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Im a post-doc from Israel at Harvard University at Beth-Israel deaconess. I've started this month. I have a J-1 Visa. I was wondering about taxes. Am I going to pay them now and get a refund at the end of the year, or I shouldn't pay at all?

View more questions Search