Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 13, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Coming to America!
    Hello fellow AMHDers!

This question is really for everyone who lives in America or has visited there recently!

I'm coming back from my little trip to Afghanistan in a couple of weeks and fancy a holiday with my Moomin. As the exchange rate with the pound is so awesome (for us Brits that is!) I was looking at flying over the pond and staying in the US for a few nights!

I've been to New York before and really loved it!

I was just wondering where everyone would recommend and why?

Cheers guys!

J :D
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 07:06 AM
    What are you looking for? Big city? Cabin in the woods? Scenery? Lights and action? Roller Coasters? Coffee? (lol)

Its Spring - are you wanting warmer temps or cooler temps? Bathing suits or wind parkas?

We've got it all! :)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 08:56 AM
    If you loved New York you would love probably any major city. DC, Miami, LA, Chicago, they're all great places with tons of stuff to do.

But a lot depends on what type of trip you want to have and when you will be visiting. More details will help with suggestions! :)
    Moomin Posts: 167, Reputation: 19

Mar 13, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Hey! I am the Moomin in question! I would love somewhere warm... as warm as we can get this time of year! Hehe!

I'm so giddy about the possibility it sounds awesome!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
    I'd suggest New England. Boston, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine... You could do Salem and Mystery Hill... course, I'm a historian, so New England is fascinating to me.

You guys will have a blast where ever you go!
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
    If you want warm then Florida will be the place to go, if you want to stay on the East coast. Given the length of your flight, I'd say that's probably your best bet. I mean, Hawaii is great, but it's 12-hours from DC, add that to the six or seven hours you take to get to DC and boy - that's a tough flight!

Anyway, there's a ton of fun stuff in Florida. You can always go the Disney route and go to Orlando, or you can check out South Beach and Miami. Here's a site with tourism info: Florida Vacation, Tourism, Travel & Entertainment Information - VISITFLORIDA.com

Depending on how warm you want (and when you are coming) Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia can be lovely too. March and April are temperamental months in these regions (I'm in VA), but depending on what you are doing, cooler weather might be better. For example, if you visit DC and plan to do a lot of walking on the Mall, Capitol Hill and visiting the museums and Zoo, cooler temps make the trip more enjoyable, because we have miserable humid weather in the summer! Same with the Carolinas and Georgia. Florida this time of year will be the warmest, and of course, the further south you go, the warmer it gets. The Keys are lovely if you are into the laid-back beach thing, Miami if you want a livelier time.

If you decide on DC let me know and I'll clue you into my favorite places to visit. :)
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 14, 2008, 02:01 AM
    Wow! Thanks for the wealth of information guys!

I was really wanting to stay on the East coast and fly into New York... this is the cheapest option and because we'll only be there a few days I didn't want to spend it all flying! Lol!

My Mum visited Boston and New England from New York and loved it! I've got a full driving license and am used to driving on the wrong side of the road (it is the wrong side!) so could a mini road-trip be a possibility?
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Flying into New York, Baltimore or DC should take you roughly the same amount of time, and I guess, depending on the airline, cost about the same. I do think staying on the East Coast is your best option since you will only be here for a few days.

If you flew into New York you could easily make mini road trips to elsewhere in the area, but I would price out flights to Boston as well (if that's where you want to go); it might cost a little more but save you several hours of driving time. The nice thing about the East Coast is the states are small and you can get from one place to another in roughly a day. I'm in DC and can be a NY in a few hours, for example, or be in Florida in 12 hours. Road trips can be a lot of fun, and if you have access to a car you won't be stuck in one area or one city.

I'm sure you guys will have a great time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coming to America [ 12 Answers ]

Planning this years holiday I wanted to go somewhere different we usually go to the Med. But this year want somewhere different been and done the whole Disney thing wanted to come and see something different in the states got kids so what does any one suggest cannot do a fly drive though

The waters coming from America - does anyone know about this? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. The following might sound a little confusing, so I will make clarifications to my question if people want me to. I was wondering if people could lay out for me the bodies of water that connect to the oceans and seas FROM lakes and rivers in America. Like for example, "the X...

Moving from America. [ 1 Answers ]

My friend moved to America some years ago but is still a UK citizen. She has had 2 children whilst over there and the are American citizens how could she move back to England with her children? She really needs to come back.

South America [ 2 Answers ]

I met this girl. She is from Colombia, S.A. I met her while she was going through her divorce from her husband of 5 years. She says he was abusing her. She is now a citizen. We have been together for a year now. She admitted that a couple of months ago that she started seeing a guy she met, so I...

Only in America [ 5 Answers ]

Only in America 1. Only in America... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance. 2. Only in America... are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink. 3. Only in America... do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their...

View more questions Search