Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Group20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Lease Agreement Renewal
    Hello,

I have a tenant that resides in a NH property. The tenant has paid rent on time but has unfortunately failed to maintain the heat in the unit. Currently delinquent +$1300 and the heat has been turned off by the utility company for failure to pay. I want this tenant to move out because it is placing the property at risk should a water pipe freeze and burst. The lease agreement I have in place expires April 30, 2008 but resets for a 12 month period beginning May 1, 2008. It is my belief that I have the right not to honor the May 1, 2008 agreement because it has not begun. Is this an accurate assumption? Can I give the tenant notice to move for failure to keep the heat on? I am concerned that without heat she places the property at risk for water damage should a water pipe freeze and burst. I look forward to your responses.

Thanks!
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Mar 13, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Talk to a attorney who knows NH landlord-tenant law AND provide him/her with a copy of your lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Does the lease specify that its an automatic renewal or a default renewal (if neither party cancels). I would think that there is a provision that says you can inform the tenant with due notice that you will not be renewing the lease and they need to vacate by 5/1. If you are unclear then you need to consutl an attorney to interpret the lease.

Even if the lease does renew, if the lease states the tenant is responsible for heating the place, you might have grounds to terminate the lease due to her breach of the terms of the lease.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Yes there is a big difference as Scott mentioned between a automatic renewal and a defaut renewal. One could be cancelled by either party, the other can only be cancelled by terms of the agreement.

And providing heat, is it a term in the contract, ** it is in all the ones I do, but unless you have it in there, you may find it is not grounds, esp now that it is spring

But as a landlord, it is well worth you time and trouble to pay an attorney to explain the lease you use, and perhaps to re-write a lease just for your use to cover all the terms you need.
    Group20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Thanks for the responses. The current lease expires April 30, 2008. A new lease begins May 1, 2008. I am in good standing, because I can opt not to renew the May 1, 2008 lease agreement. The lease does not automatically reset, but was signed. The current lease expires and the new lease begins. So I have opted to cancel the new lease before it begins. With that said I have also given the tenant more than 30 days notice of my intentions not to renew the lease on April 30, 2008 and have requested that she vacate the premises.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Lease Renewal [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I signed a lease in July of 2005. After one year, the lease states that it "renews itself." I spoke with someone who stated that it is illegal to renew a lease for a full year if a new lease is not signed, meaning that when the first year is up, the lease turns from a year lease to...

Lease renewal in P.A. [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. A little complicated in Pennsylvania here... I signed a 1 year lease 10/03... in the terms it says "this lease will automatically renew for one year (NOT YEAR TO YEAR) at the end of term"... end of term was 11/1/04.. OK.. so it renewed till 11/30/05 (in the lease I get the...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

View more questions Search