Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PMurphy Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Extra Holes in Double-Skinned Sinks
    Where do I start? Because of a flood at home we found this problem with our sinks.

The sinks sit on top and into a two door and series of drawer cabinet.

There are extra holes under and to the side of the sinks, (see .bmp attached) to each side of the bowl there are chambers which from the top are very handy for putting things when you are getting ready, anyway the sinks are double-skinned and I have been told by supplier that the holes are for 'drying-out purposes' in the kiln. Unfortunately these holes are connected to the side chambers and in turn are connected to the overflow.

So, when we did have a flood, we didn't realise for a long time, as it was leaking under the sink and behand the cabinet.

I cannot use a plunger as I would have to cover the extra holes and the overflow and still water would remain in the chambers.

I really need to get new sinks and I think the supplier or the manufacturer is responsible, can anybody help. Or, indeed, does anybody know what I am talking about, because reading this back it doesn't exactly make sense.

Thanks for reading this far.

Phyllis
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 04:14 AM
    Hi Phyllis:

This flood you are talking about... you mean the sink leaked? Tell us, how old are the sinks? Sinks don't usually start leaking from the bowl/unit itself years down the road...

The manufacturer is correct about the holes being drying holes... I have never seen a leak come from these holes... it is not that it is impossible by any means.. more and more I see manufacturers going the cheaper route and more and more I am seeing problems with materials... but it would have to be quite a defect for a leak to occur out the holes..

I know you will not like this question... but did you check everywhere else for leaks.. I mean, really check..

Disconnect the sink, and then take it outside and really test for leaking and if it leaks from the holes... then you have either developed a crack or a manufacturer defect (as you suspect).

Check the faucet connections... check everything... get back to us, let us know your thoughts... Good day.. Mark.

Mar 13, 2008, 04:35 AM
    We bought a new house in December 2004, they sinks were only put in in November 2004. We have 7 of this model altogether and they all have the same fault. I have proved that the chambers are connected to the overflow by pouring water directly into overflow (by the way most of the water is going down the plug hole through a letter box shaped cut-out) but, after the flood I was a little anxious because I thought there may have been a blockage and one day I tried to use a plunger by covering the overflow and PLUNGE, I heard a splash, couldn't see anything, did it again, SPLASH. The water was coming directly out of the holes under the sink and behind the cabinet. I think it is a design fault, but haven't been able to have it officially reported as the Plumber said he would not be qualified to report on design aspects/faults.

Mar 13, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Mark,

This is an overview of the sink, they look pretty awful as I just copied and pasted a jpeg into paint in order to keep within the size restrictions for attachments.

Thanks for coming back, it's great to get an answer, any answer.

Phyllis
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 04:41 AM
    Call the manufacturer and see if they want to send out a representative to take a look.

Does this happen at all 7 sinks.. If so, these guys must be out of business... HUH?

Odd stuff... what is manufacturer/name on sinks?

Mar 13, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Hi Mark,

There are no markings, the supplier is in Louth, the all-Ireland agent is in Dublin and the manufacturer is Italian, never got their name. The supplier and agent came out and said there was nothing wrong and now they do not take my calls. I have even sent registered letters with photos but to no avail.

I think I may just have to bite the bullet and replace them myself and put an end to this mess.

Thanks again.

Phyllis
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Phyllis is this leaking at all the sinks.. I mean are there stains under all sinks?

Mar 13, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Before the 'flood' I had left a watch in the top drawer in the cabinet. The glass was all misted and I just put it down to steam or something. Then I found a bag of ball shaped bath salts had turned to mush, still I didn't think anything of it. My daughter had left cotton wool balls in hers and found one huge cotton ball in the drawer. At this stage I didn't have my Columbo had on and time went by. After the flood I noticed that the doors or drawers were not wet, you would imagine if the sink had overflowed over the bowl that the outside of the cabinet would have been somewhat damp. All three drawers innards were saturated. You see over time water had been going into the overflow, it you turn the taps on only a little it flows over the edge of the sink and water had been building up in the chambers for a while. There were black floaty things in the water which, if nothing else, proves it was over time. Of course, it would be hot or warm water that was flowing into the chambers and nature was doing it's best work to turn it into penicillin. The first floor of the house if concrete, as are all the internal walls. Actually, how it happened was, I was washing my hands, my son had had a temperature that evening and he called out shrilly to me, I pushed the plunger at the back of the taps to open the plug but... a hair clip was caught in the plug hole and the plug remained tightly in the plug hole. I pressed the tap off (but not all the way). This was all done in the matter of a split second and I didn't realise that the tap was still on and the plug was stuck in the plug hole. I looked after my son and then went downstairs. About an hour later I went into the lounge at the back of the house and when I glanced at the window I noticed it was raining heavily, I leaned my head back into the hall and looked out the main door, beautiful dry (unusual for Ireland) sunny day. I went over to the window and, guess what, the rain wasn't rain but was water flowing down on the inside of the window. I ran up the stairs and when I opened the door to the ensuite my feet was swallowed up to the ankles by water. I had just changed the duvet earlier that evening from winter to spring and used the winter duvet to mop up the water. There was not too much water damage from the flood itself, most of the damage had been caused over time when the holes were leaking ever such a small amount on a daily basis.
    Phew!
    Bless you if you had read this far.

Kindest regards
    Phyllis
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Phyllis... lots of info... but did not answer my question.

How many sinks have you found with water damage in drawers, sinks, etc.

If only one.. then may be a fluke thing here. I mean if the manufacturer and his agent came out and said nothing wrong... something is up here. If was defective I am sure they would want to fix for you.

You sure maybe not just 1 sink here.. Just trying to help.

Last thought, get another plumber out there and prove it to him... then see if he will talk to the manufacturer for you. If you find decent guy maybe he can help... they are out there.

Mar 13, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Thanks Mark, we tested all of the sinks and they all have the same fault. Some of them are in guest/not used much rooms and they are not leaking unless you pour water directly into overflow. Four sinks are leaking in the same way, my ensuite, my daughters ensuite, my sons ensuite and the downstairs loo.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Phyllis... when we install certain corian type sinks over here there is a flexible connector that connects onto the overflow and then inserts into the pop-up assembly... any chance that is missing? I doubt it by looking at sink.

Why couldn't you make it leak when the manufacture and agent came by then..?

Mar 13, 2008, 06:01 AM
    The supplier and agent came separately, the sinks leaked in the way I described when the supplier visited. The supplier called the agent and we did the same test and the sinks leaked again and he said he would get on to the manufacturer, I called him several times over the next two weeks and then he just stopped answering. I went back to the builder who had a contract with the supplier, I did not buy them from the supplier and therefore I had no contract with them. The builder sent out his plumber (the guy who installed them) he told me that this was not the first time the builder had a problem with these sinks but that this information was OFF THE RECORD. That plumber does not work for the builder anymore, but does not want to rock the boat. A rock and a hard place huh!

Cheers!
    Phyllis
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Good morning Phylis, I haven't chimed in because I haven't seen them in my area as yet. I just wonder why they were installed in the first place. Price? It couldn't be because of looks, If they all leak then one of two things appear to be at fault. Either the installer missed something or left something out or there's a design flaw. Either way the sinks should be replaced. Regards, Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Well said, Tom.

Phyllis, sounds like you have bases covered.. Sorry we could not tell you more. Good luck with this... Mark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extra Extra Dry Skin [ 8 Answers ]

I have extra extra dry skin. I am constantly shedding. What can I do about this. I have tried all kinds of lotions

From double pole to single pole thermostat -2 extra leads [ 3 Answers ]

The double pole thermostat for the baseboard heater has a red and a black wire coming in (from the circuit panel) and a red and a black going to the heater. The new single pole only has a red LINE lead and a black LOAD lead. If I attach red to red and then black to black, I have black (from...

A Q for Dark Skinned Africans OR African Americans [ 3 Answers ]

hi! no offense to ANYONE on here, but i am having difficulty understanding who is getting results and what TYPE of results you were initially seeking. i, of course am a medium brown skinned(but i glow a reddish brown, in parts) like MISSY ELLIOT'S COMPLEXION. I am reading that some have used...

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search