Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bachy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Clogged laundry room floor drain - slab house
    What a watery mystery I have in my laundry room. Whenever my washing machine empties the tub of water it backs up into the nearby floor drain. I had a plumber out and he snaked the drain (not through the roof vent, but throughout the cleanout by the floor drain). Because he only had a 50' snake (and the distance to the septic is probably 75+) he also went to the septic and snaked from there to the house. Water ran into the septic at a good rate after that. However, the next day my washing machine backed up again but this time the shower (which is located at the other end of the house) backed up into the floor drain as well. That was 2 days ago and the shower hasn't backed up again. Prior to this the problem was completely isolated to the washing machine and the floor drain and it appears to be that was again. One day the washing machine empties full force to the septic and the next day it trickles and backs up all over the floor. I'm losing sleep and money over this. Any help, tips, tricks or suggestions will be so very welcomed. Thanks.
    razor96 Posts: 87, Reputation: 8

Mar 12, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Does not sound clogged to me not if it works one day and not the next. I would ask the plumber to check the vent stack and make sure there is nothing in it . Good luck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2008, 04:05 PM
    I have a different take then razor. Sounds to me like your septic tank's full and the drain field can't habdle the discharge your putting into it. If that's the case then the drain field would handle a flush or a shower and let the liquid percolate but will not be able to handle the volume your washer puts out and the system backs up. Have your septic tank pumped and the drain field checked. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry floor drain clogged! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, My laundry room is downstairs and every time I use the sink upstairs in the kitchen or use the washer to wash cloths water comes up and out of the drain in my laundry room! What is going on here?? Do I use a shop Vac? Or a plunger or some kind of chemical? I am at a total loss here.

Floor Drain Backed up in Laundry room [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've lived in my house for 5 years. It was built in 1957. It is a great, sturdy house. The biggest headache is that, occasionally, since the beginning - our laundry room floor drain backs up. I'd like to understand what is happening as best I can. I am not a plummer, but I am willing to...

Moving Laundry room from basement to second floor [ 2 Answers ]

I appreciate any help I can get. I have an old house (1899) and the upstairs bathroom is divided in two. One side only has a sink. I have removed this sink and want to convert to laundrey room. I currently have the hot and cold supply lines and the drain for the sink. The drain comes...

Laundry room drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a laundry room and a bedroom side by side at the front of the house. I have made a bump out addition to these rooms. I want to move the sink, washer and the dryer from the existing laundry room into the bedroom making it the new laundry room. Can I run approximately 22 feet of new...

Moving Laundry room to 2nd floor [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I'm getting tired of lugging laundry up and down stairs. While I appreciate the fitness of using stairs, I'm clumsy and likely to take a fall one of these days! So, I'm moving the laundry room to the 2nd floor room over garage. I'm sharing details to get a sanity check and for any other DIY...

View more questions Search