Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drip67 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2003, 12:54 PM
    Neighbors bushes
    I have a problem with my neighbors bushes hanging past my property line. This wouldn't be such a big deal except the bushes a very thorny and a huge pain to mow under. If I asked my neighbors to trim them and they don't, is it legal for me to trim them? And how long should I wait for them to do it? They only come to this house on the weekends and spend most of the time working in their yard. I don't think it is too much to ask to get it done the same weekend that I ask them to do it? Help me with this problem, thank you.
    sierra1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2003, 09:27 PM
    neighbors bushes
    Hello,

Well you may have already fixed this little problem, due to the time frame. If the branches are hanging on your side of the fence, you have the right to cut them back. Just in case your neighbor gets a little pissed at you, cover yourself, 1. Document the times you have asked them to cut the tree back, 2. Head down to your nursery and tell them what type of tree you are dealing with, this way they can tell you the proper time to cut and how to trim this tree without killing it (also document this) this way if your neighbor tries to take you to court, you have your bases covered and you walk out the victor with no branches on your side. PS offer to help them trim the tree as well... Hope this helps
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2004, 09:17 PM
    neighbors bushes
    I have the same problem and called my city's Code Enforcement Office. They basically told me the same thing that Sierra1 said. Anything over the property line is fair game.

Of course it is nice to ask your neighbors first to trim back their bushes. It is possible they do not know it is an inconvienience to you.

You could also try telling them you got cut up on them while mowing your lawn and they might be concerned enough about being sued that they would trim them right away.

I ended up climbing in to my neighbors tree and hacked away almost half the tree.

Good Luck!

David
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2005, 12:22 PM
    Or you could be evil and just plant some psycoticly spreading plant like bamboo or something and let them try and keep it under control being there once a week. Ok so that not the best of ideas but I like the idea of getting pruning instructions. Then you are clearing your yard (which you have every right to) and giving the plant proper pruning which most plants I believe need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful Neighbors... [ 9 Answers ]

Living in CT, what are laws pertaining to neighbors, that play loud music all day long, and musical instruments all hours of the night, to the point where we can't hear the T.V. and the floor is vibrating. This has been a feud since he moved in. Cops were involved before, but nothing came about. ...

Rude Neighbors [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I have neighbors who continuously invite themselves over to gatherings I have at my house, or gatherings my neighbors have (where we've been invited). This has been going on for 2-3 years now! We've just become close to neighbors on the other side of their house, and if we're over there,...

Is it legal for our neighbors to take pictures of us without us knowing? [ 4 Answers ]

I run an english bulldog rescue and our city limit on dogs is 2. I have 2 and then will have a foster homes so the animals aren't staying here. Our neighbors do not like us for whatever reason pretty much from day one. We have a share driveway and that doesn't help the relationship much but...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

Party Animal Neighbors [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse with a small back yard. My back yard is fenced in. My next door neighbors are a single mother age 37 & her daughter age 18. The mother is never home. The daughter is home alone. The daughter has many parties. Young kids attend the parties, ages 16 through 20. Alcohol...

View more questions Search