Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    millieJP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Firm's current ratio
    How would the following actions affect a firm's current ratio?
    1. Inventory is sold.
    2. The firm takes out a bank loan to pay its suppliers.
    3. A customer pays its overdue bills.
    4. The firm uses cash to purchase additional inventories

Thank you
    mh34 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by millieJP
    How would the following actions affect a firm's current ratio?
    1. Inventory is sold.
    2. The firm takes out a bank loan to pay its suppliers.
    3. A customer pays its overdue bills.
    4. The firm uses cash to purchase additional inventories

Thank you
    Current Ration is Current Assets(Short Term Assets) divided by Current Liabilities(short term liabilities). It is used to determine if a company can pays its short term obligations with its current assets. The current ratio is another test of a company's financial strength. It calculates how many dollars in assets are likely to be converted to cash within one year in order to pay debts that come due during the same year.

1. Inventory sold would produce Sales, and that's not an Asset its Revenue, but it would decrease assets and increase cash. So it wouldn't have any affect on the current ratio because it evens out.
    2. A bank loan is a long term liability and therefore wouldn't be calculated into the current ratio.
    3. If a customer pays its bills then Account Recievable(current ratio variable) would go down and and cash(current ration variable) would go up, but it gets equaled out so it wouldn't effect the ratio.
    4. Again assets would go for the purchase of Inventories, but it would go down because cash was used, so there would be no effect on the ratio because they are both short term assets.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 06:25 AM
    I agree with mh34.

However, I wish to clariffy his explanation to point 2.

The bank loan will increase your cash (current ratio), but you are using that money to pay off suppliers (current ratio). So it balances itself out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Determining Working Capital and the Current Ratio [ 4 Answers ]

Wilemon Corporation is preparing its 2007 balance sheet.The company records show the following selected amounts at the end of the accounting period, December 31,2007: Total assets $695,100 Total noncurrent assets 525,000 Liabilities: Notes payable(8%...

2-cycle oil / gas ratio [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a way to consolidate gas tanks. I have three different machines that of course all use a different ratio. Auger is 24:1, snowblower is 50:1, and weedeater is 40:1. Is there a product out there which would allow me to use 1 or 2 tanks for these... I'd appreciate any input ...

Ratio Analysis [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me please with this question? The lenders of X have asked you to prepare the following ratios for the company from their comparative financial statements. They are concerned about Soukup’s ability to continue as a going concern. The ratios are as follows: Year 2003 ...

Current Ratio [ 1 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm’s current ratio? 1. A customer prepays in full for specially ordered merchandise that it will take 60 days to manufacture. 2. Inventory is sold at the firm’s normal 35% markup cost.

Affects on current ratio [ 1 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm's current ratio? 1. inventory is sold 2. the firm takes out a bank loan to pay its suppliers 3. a customer pays its overdue bill 4. the firm uses cash to purchase additional inventories.

View more questions Search