Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linda lofton Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Iam on disability and Ive raised my niece for 17 years why doesn't she qualifty for benefits?after all she is a member of my family. Does anyone have an answer for this question?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2008, 07:45 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Second, benefits are generally payable to immediate family. And a niece is not considered immediate family. But the real people to speak to are the Social Security people. Have you ever asked them? If so, what did they say?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 09:32 AM
    One has to look at why you are raising her, why is her biological parents not raising her, and if you have court ordered custody, why the bio parents are not paying you child support for the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My niece wants to live with me [ 1 Answers ]

My nieces father said he would sign custody over to me. Does that mean that he won't have a say in anything I do with her or for her?

Trying to do what is best for my niece [ 8 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I have a niece (brother's daughter) who will be 6 in April, she is a very bright little girl. Neither of her parents have really been in her life unless it did something to benefit them. I was 15 years old when she was born and for the first year and a half of her life took...

Trying to do what is best for my niece [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I have a niece (brother's daughter) who will be 6 in April, she is a very bright little girl. Neither of her parents have really been in her life unless it did something to benefit them. I was 15 years old when she was born and for the first year and a half of her life took...

Want custody of my niece [ 1 Answers ]

About 12 years ago my brother in-law and his wife got divorced and gave up custody of there 2 kids. The younger one lived with a great uncle and his wife. They recently got divorced and she now lives with the woman. She is no blood relation. The little girl has rotten teeth and her head has...

View more questions Search