Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdesai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Tax rate on sale of home
    If I sell a my home within two years of purchase and can't use the exclusion clause, and if I am in the minimum tax bracket, what will be the capital gains tax rate charge for sale of my home? Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2006, 10:21 AM
    In general, if your tax rate is 15% or lower, then your capital gains rate is 5%.

Otherwise, the maximum capital gains rate is 15%.

There are exceptions to this rule, but none that would apply to you.
    djausa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
    I live in Clearwater Florida and am selling my home. I hope to receive 80,000.00 for this. How much of this would I owe the IRS? I also plan to pay off some bills for my daughter. Can I deduct this on my taxes and if so would she need to claim this as income.

Thank you,
    Donna
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Donna:

If you lived in the house for at least TWO of the past five years as your primary home, then the gain on the sale is EXEMPT from federal income taxes. You do not even have to report the sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rate of Return [ 2 Answers ]

:) A 2 year maturity bond with face value of $1,000 that makes annual coupon payments of $80 and is selling at face value. What will be the rate of return on the bond if its yield to marurity at the end of the year is a. 6% b. 8% c. 10% :)

Home loan interest rate [ 1 Answers ]

What are some some of the home loan interest rates now for good to average credit for fixed rate.

DL transfer rate too low [ 12 Answers ]

My internet for downloading the transfer rate when from some hight number (forget what that was lol) but now, when I download something the net the transfer rate is like 6-9kb whch really sux the big one because DL's take for ever. What can I do to get the transfer rate up, I am on adsl. Don't...

Help.. with transfer rate [ 1 Answers ]

Why when I'm downloading.anything frm net.. my transfer rate... very low... like 10kb or 11kb... my net speed is 1mbps... anyone know how to increase my net transfer rate

Title transfer during sale of manufacture home question? [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my wife sold our home in oct of last year 04 and we just received a tax bill for the property taxes.We have not even lived in the home for a year. I am trying to get a hold of the people that sold our home for us but they have not called us back yet. Does anyone know if the people that...

View more questions Search