Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 10:47 AM
    “The Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. a mentor and friend to Sen. Barack Obama for 20 years, in a recent sermon shouted: "God damn America" for its history of slavery, racism and oppression against its black citizens.

Mr. Wright — who baptized Mr. Obama at the Trinity United Church of Christ, presided over his wedding there and inspired him in his career as a community activist and a politician — has been a lightning rod for the campaign from the very beginning.

When Mr. Obama announced his candidacy for president, Mr. Wright, who is also a member of Mr. Obama's National African American Religious Leadership Committee, was asked not to appear because of his "black power" social views, which many have criticized as separatist, forcing Mr. Obama to distance himself from his home pastor.”

Obama keeps pastor at a distance - - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

I can't help wondering whether the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr and some of his Black activist parishioners feel betrayed or if Obama is flying false colors.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Obama wanted and apology from Ferraro; but I don't hear a cry for an apology from Wright.

Is this just another double standard by the democrats?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Yes it is . Not only that ,the Dems charge that when people like Wright ,Wiilam Ayers and the Rezkos are mentioned that the Obama opposition is playing a game of guilt by association . When Obama is asked about Wright he flippantly says things like Wright is like “an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with” .

But that answer just should not satisfy an inquisitive press. Obama has had a 20 year relationship with this pastor and at times has been called by Obama his spiritual mentor ;an inspriation for his book . He wed the Obamas and Obama has been a heavy contributor to the church.

The slew of controversial statements by the pastor should be answered by Obama whether he agrees with the content or not . If not he shoud disavow the comments and say specifically that he doesn't think God should damn America ,that 9-11 was the chickens coming home to roost ;that Clinton was not doing to the black community what he was doing to Monica... the dirty. (to name only a few ) .

Obama sat through sermons by Wright for 20 years and I'm sure the ones detailed are just the appetizers to the content of this preachers racists screeds . Yet Obama continued to attend and support this church... why ? What part of Wrights ideology is consitent with Obama's positions and which aren't ?

He should detail his long friendship with Weatherman William Ayers and denounce his 9-11 statement that claimed Ayers participation in the bombing of the Pentagon and Police Headquarters. What part of Ayer's actions does Obama support and which does he condemn ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 01:43 PM
    If this isn't a wake up call to the voting electorate then I don't know what is. Barack - please explain how you, in your right mind, can allow your children to witness and hear his blasphemous statements, please explain how this ongoing relationship shows good judgment on your part, and please explain why I shouldn't let this sway my opinion as to your judgment and ability to lead this great nation.

I suppose he wants us to believe…"I didn't inhale"?

What do you think would happed is if Hillary defended David Duke?

And to know that you are affiliated with a church that uses race in its message is not the "change" our country needs. "Change" would be you standing up for the Christian beliefs and that would represent a God or higher power, depending on your belief, that did not judge you based on your color or gender.

Obama is in real trouble here. The fact that he respects this man is very damning for his career. I love how all the Obama lovers think this is not news. Oh but Geraldine Ferraro is still in the news for what she said.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Obama is in real trouble here. The fact that he respects this man is very damning for his career. I love how all the Obama lovers think this is not news. Oh but Geraldine Ferraro is still in the news for what she said.
    No, he's not. He's not responsible for Wright. If this is news, it shows how desperate the contenders are getting. And Ferraro made a good point, but said it very badly.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Certainly he is not responsible for Wright, and I have not read where anyone thinks so.

Black liberation theology is central to Trinity United Church of Christ and to Obama so that is the real issue that the News will be getting to in the future. It's (liberation theology) a Marxist theory of re-distribution of wealth. It has been a failure in South America and I certainly hope it is in the U.S...
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 14, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Obama wanted and apology from Ferraro; but I don't hear a cry for an apology from Wright.

Is this just another double standard by the democrats?

Maybe if Hillary gets the nomination she can ask Geraldine back on the staff to run for VP.;) That would be the best news to date for the Obama campaign! W-r-i-g-h-t... supporter of Obama. Th Obama/Wright relationship is old ground that I went over a few threads back. F-e-r-r-a-r-o... was on campaign fund raising committee for Clinton; campaign staff! Anybody, not just Obama or his supporters, but die-hard Republicans as well, understand Ferraro's admitting wrong would compromise her pompous ego. I don't even think Rush would be this blind to the fact, although Obama's a Democrat. Anyone not legitimately seeing the difference is probably wishing for a McCain presidency.:) Barack knows he's not getting an apology out of her. He's putting Geraldine on the spot just to make Hillary pay for another one of her campaign shenanigans. Starting some twenty-four years ago we learned that in Ferraro's lifetime she will never find a "black" person that's not lucky.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 14, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Tom-

We could keep a spectrum of views alive on this issue for weeks, perhaps months. I have a fair idea where you stand and obviously I've made clear my position from the subject headline. There's a lot of time left between now and the general election in November. Maybe we can revisit this issue several times before then. It's been a joy discussing the subject with everyone. I have some things to catch up on before Shabbos.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Certainly he is not responsible for Wright, and I have not read where anyone thinks so.
    Responsible for? no.

But if you attend his services for 20 years... call him your spiritual advisor... there's a more intimate connection there.

Not an obama supporter or hater here... just think in a tight race, little things can make a big difference. He should have distanced himself long, long ago. Now... it seems like a campaign move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Different colors of red [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have redecorated my living room and my accent color is red there are so many different shades of reds that its hard to find everything to match could different shades of reds be used in one room? Please help thank you

Emo and colors [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there! I want to ask you guys, something about emo style... (I know there have been many similar conversations but I hope this one is different) I am trying to look like an emo (just look, not be suicidal and stuff :P), but I don't want to wear black all the time. Are other colors apart...

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

View more questions Search