Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Casper Creepz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 04:07 AM
    Connecting Two Computers
    Ok I got a linksys router and it is directly connected to my computer wired and I have a laptop connected wireless well what I want to do it be able to access files between both computers through a network how would I set this up ?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Hi,
    Here is a link explaining how to set up the File Sharing Access:

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

If you need any help with the actual physical setup of the computers, here is a good link with pictures and information for both cable and wireless setups:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ussel_hni.mspx
    I do wish you the best.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2006, 07:10 AM
    The link Fred gave you has a lot of info not pertaining to your system. It talks more about using ICS (which you don't need since you have a router) then a router based network. Frankly I wouldn't waste too much time on it.

I'm assuming your Linksys router is a Wireless router. If its not then you will have wire in your laptop.

If it is a wireless, it would help to know what versions of Windows on both machines.

Essentially, sharing files across a network is a matter of enabling File And Print Sharing on both PCs and then designating a drive or folder to be shared. From there, you map to the folder on the other PC and you can treat it like a local drive. To give specifics I would need to know the Windows versions. A great site for networking tutorials is practicallynetworked.com.

Another option is calling Linksys' excellent tech support. They have toll free 24/7 support and they should be able to walk you through this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computers [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can hookup one computer to an other computer and download files from one to another even if they are not the same make and how I can do it?

Connecting two computers together [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, just wondering since my cd rom on xp is not working, IS there anyway that I can connect my old PC win 98, 4gb hard drive to my xp and use win 98 cd rom to install program on xp.

Computers [ 4 Answers ]

I connect to the web via broadband. Everything is OK for about 15mins then my browser disconnects. I have deleted and reloaded explorer but the fault remains. I have also downloaded avant browser - no difference. When the browser goes off line it does not effect other programmes such as messenger...

View more questions Search