Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celyn Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Maternity leave
    Me and my husband are trying for a baby and I'm just wondering if I should get a insurance out when I'm pregnant to cover maternity leave.Its just that we are both self employed and I have not long started my business and I think we will need all the help we could get.. Does anyone know of any insurances that will do this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
    I don't know if nine months is long enough to put something like that in place, but call your insurance agent because there are some policies that will pay for down time or hospital time or whatever. I have a policy in place through my employer that provides so much a day while ill, so my expenses will be covered.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Check, because many plans require that a plan be in place for a certain period before they cover pregnancy-related expenses. So say for instance, you find out you're pregnant and then begin your plan... Well they may not cover any of those prenatal visits related to THAT pregnancy since it was already existing before they began your plan. It's best to start a health plan now since you say you and your husband are actively trying to have a baby. Most plans are like this to avoid this very situation; people getting a health plan just in time to cover a surgery, pregnancy, etc. Hope this helps!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 04:26 PM
    No, you can not buy it after you are pregnant and expect it to pay when the baby is born ( pre existing condition) in fact many may require you to have it for 12 to 24 months pior to paying.

Also many policies will not consider this leave as covered for payment.

Now if you are talking about the medical insurance paying for the hospital and the doctor, that also has to be bought before you are pregnant to cover the delivery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cute maternity clothes? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't find any cute maternity clothes online. I don't live near a mall or anything. Im pretty young and don't have a LOT of money to spend.. does anyone know any good sights? Thanks

Was gone on maternity - employer not giving job back [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out if my sister has any rights to get her job back. She was gone on (unpaid) maternity leave. Her boss had told her she would get her job back afterwards, but now there is a new boss and she said she just hired 2 new employees so there is nothing open. Do they have to give...

Maternity rights [ 10 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me is it OK for my employer to ask me for an indication as to when I'm going back when my daughter is only 11 weeks old??

2nd mortgage and maternity leave [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I filled out an application to borrow from the equity in my house. I wasn't approved at first, but then they did something they called a "reserve" plan, at which my interest rate was higher and then approved me. I am currently on maternity leave, but I go back on December 7th. My...

Back to work after maternity leave... [ 3 Answers ]

Please help - I am a new mum and have just gotten back to work after raising my daughter to 6 months. I loved ever minute of it and would love to be a full-time mum but we just can't afford it :(( I know so many others have gone through this and I really need help.My little girl goes to a...

View more questions Search