Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grantraz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Auto accident claim
    My wife, son and I were recently in a car accident. We were hit from behind, which caused minimal damage. The other drivers insurance has paid for the damage, which was the bumper. The insurance gave what I believe to be a crappy settlement offer. Both my wife and son went to the E.R. and released the same day. Im not looking for major money just want what's fair. My question is should I try and give a counter offer to the insurance company to see if I can get it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grantraz
    My wife, son and I were recently in a car accident. We were hit from behind, which caused minimal damage. The other drivers insurance has paid for the damage, which was the bumper. The insurance gave what I believe to be a crappy settlement offer. Both my wife and son went to the E.R. and released the same day. Im not looking for major money just want whats fair. My question is should I try and give a counter offer to the insurance company to see if I can get it?

My thoughts would be not to settle "short" or too soon - make sure there are no permanent medical problems.

At one point Attorneys were saying (with minor injuries) that 3 times the medical bill is/was a fair settlement.

In most cases I see (and I certainly don't see them all) the insurance company makes one offer to the person involved - and that's it. Anything after that requires an Attorney. Also keep in mind anything you say can - and probably will - be used against you if this gets any more involved. And you would be AMAZED what people say! You have said there was minimal damage - and I've seen terrible injuries with minor damage but that is not the norm.

So, sure, make a counteroffer and see where it goes but expect the company to then withdraw its initial offer and force you into an Attorney's office. The company does not have to deal with you - you are not the injured party although you probably are your son's natural guardian.

Insurance companies are supposed to make you whole, not rich, but you've already said you aren't trying to get wealthy on this.

(What State are you in?)
    LegalEagle1 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Dec 15, 2011, 11:45 PM
    You always have the right to counter an offer. If you believe the offer is too low, yes.

Consider the following list of items before considering a settlement: Lawsuit Settlement Offer

Remember, if you agree to the settlement, you can't come back later for additional money.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grantraz View Post
    My wife, son and I were recently in a car accident. We were hit from behind, which caused minimal damage. The other drivers insurance has paid for the damage, which was the bumper. The insurance gave what I believe to be a crappy settlement offer. Both my wife and son went to the E.are. And released the same day. I'm not looking for major money just want what's fair. My question is should I try and give a counter offer to the insurance company to see if I can get it?
    You apparently are looking for the pot of gold from this accident. What do you consider an unfair settlement amount? Did the settlement pay all your medical bills? And exactly how long were any of your family members incapacitated from this accident or are you just whining that you were not offered the moon? If you are unhappy about this settlement then get a good personal injury attorney involved to hopefully get you some more cash. A rear ender with minimal damage shoud not net you a small fortune if you did not require a lot of medical attention.
    Sorry.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
    This is from 2008 - should be closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident Claim Settlement [ 3 Answers ]

I was rearended a few months ago. I did not think we needed to call the police because it seemed pretty cut and dry. I was sitting at a light and an 18 year old girl didn't realize she was coming to a red light hit me. We exchanged information. I called both insurance companies immediately. The...

Help - Auto Accident, Diminished Value claim [ 2 Answers ]

My wife was hit by another driver on September 5, 2006. The other driver's insurance company (State Farm) claimed full liability and has paid just over $7,000 to have the damage repaired on our 2001 CR-V (probably only worth $10,000). We got our vehicle back in late November after 3 rental cars,...

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident. The other driver was at fault, the problem is my insurance had ended in September and I didn't know it. I am worried that the insurance company of the other driver won't give me a fair settlement. My car was totaled. What can I do if they try to short me on a...

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident last month, my car was totalled. It was not my fault, this lady cut in front of me. Her insurance paid for my car (Kelly blue book price) and also paid the registration of my new vehicle. I went to the doctor with a neck and thumb strain, also I had some burns...

Auto Accident In Ny [ 4 Answers ]

Scenario: Woman takes prescription medicine before driving. She later dozes off at the wheel and wrecks rental car. She admits to the cop she fell asleep.She is not charged with driving while impaired and goes and seeks medical care from her doctor for her injuries. She has now been told the...

View more questions Search