Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Mar 11, 2008, 11:20 AM
    What does 'ARA architect' signify after a name?
    What does 'ARA architect' signify after a name?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Are you sure that is not "AIA". AIA is the American Institute of Architects. Many Architects belong to this organization and put AIA after their name.

Mar 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Yes, I am sure it is ARA, as this architect has already been told by AIA he can't put that after his name, as he isn't a member of the AIA. It is clearly ARA and if you Google ARA architect, you see it after other guys' names, too.

Mar 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Architectural Research Associates is all I can find, weird I have never heard of this before. It is not an official title an architect would use behind their name. I would suspect if the person using this is a registered architect.

Architectural Research Associates Market Research for Building Product Manufacturers

Mar 11, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Hey, I found out by e-mailing a guy whose name I found on-line who also has ARA after his name. It is Society of American Registered Architects. Now, can you perhaps take a look at their website and tell me if an architect being a member of this means anything at ALL to a consumer? (in your opinion)

Mar 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Looked at their website, I've never heard of them or of an architect using ARA after their name. I'll ask around some more and let you know if I find anything out. Probably means about as much as seeing AIA after the name to a consumer... not much. You should see if NCARB has anything to say about the guy you are having problems with too.

NCARB: National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
    borayg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 06:52 PM
    It's probably RA. RA stands for Registered Architect. Some Arhcitects use RA and some use AIA.

Apr 9, 2008, 06:48 AM
    It is Society of American Registered Architects (ARA). I had never heard of it or seen it used before this question.
    specgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 4

Sep 3, 2008, 03:02 PM
    In order to use the letters "AIA" after your name, you have to be both a member of the AIA and also a licensed architect (passed the license exam in all parts). In order to use "ARA" after your name, you need to be a member of the Society of American Registered Architects but you do not have to be actually licensed -- you only have to be "persuing" your license.

Different states have different requirements for calling yourself an "architect". Some states have a "title" law that requires if you use the word "architect" you actually have to be licensed to practice architecture. Other states have a "practice" law which means you can call yourself an architect if you sort of do what architects do.

If you have questions about whether someone is actually licensed to practice architecture, you can inquire at the state licensing board - Google "licensed architects in ______" and input the name and you can find out if their license is current.

Why is this important? The architectural license is a health and safety concern as much as anything; someone licensed will be reasonably current on structural codes, fire codes, and current practice; someone who is not may... or may not be as up to date.

(32 years in architecture)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 12:29 AM
    And, with the fine answer that you have posted above specgirl, I hope that you will stick around on this site to help out some more!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Architect familiar with B141 and arbitration article 7 [ 4 Answers ]

If my contract w/ my architect (AIA Document B141 article 7 section 7.1) says 'claims, disputes, or other matters in question... arising out of or relating to this agreement or breach therof shall be... decided by... arbitration association... ' can you tell me if that includes a case where the...

View more questions Search