Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2btaxchallenged Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 10:03 AM
    401k and bonus from prior employer
    I was let go June 2007. Now, March 2008 I will get a bonus from the prior employer, for work in 2007. Should I get the 401K, and company match for the work done in 2007 but paid in 2008? Do I owe state taxes on the bonus? I worked then in MA and live in NH, if the money is 2008 Income, then why should I have to pay MA income tax?

My guess no for 401k since I'm not an employee in 2008, for money earned in 2007. So one part of government says I'm covered due to yr change, but I guess Ma will say I'm earning the income, hence taxed. How can both parts of the government have different answers, that penalize the individual...
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 11, 2008, 10:09 AM
    The amount was earned in MA so is taxable in MA.
    The 401K is not applicable since you are no longer an employee. Many companies do not have the bonus payment written in their plan as eligible for 401k anyway.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I agree that you can no longer contribute to the 401(k), nor get a company match, as you are not an active employee. As for taxing the bonus - this is money earned as a non-resident worker in MA, so you will be taxed on it by MA (just as you were for your salary when you worked there). The bonus will also be included in your 2008 federal wages, to be reported to the IRS. I don't understand your point about being taxed in 2 different ways by the state versus the feds - please restate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My new employer has no 401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I hope this question is relevant for this forum. I got laid off from my employer in Aug, where we had a 401k plan, in which I have put in less than the annual IRS limit of $14k. Let's say I only put in $9k. My new employer does not have a 401k yet. So is there anyway I can still put...

Ex-employer will not allow 401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I quit my job Jan 2008 and my ex-employer says I have to wait one year before I can access my money. Something about a valuation period. Can this be correct? Can I roll it over to a IRA before the year is up? Thanks, Frank

401K Contributions by employer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My employer (brother) is not contributing my 401k deductions from my check to my 401k plan. I had talked to his accountant, his 401k administrator at work, the 401k Provider (Principal, Horrible customer service on their part), everybody is giving me the run around. Who legally should I...

End of Year Bonus and 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, End of year bonus are taxed at a higher bracket than your regular wage tax bracket. Would I save money by deferring most of my end of year bonus to a 401K plan; therefore when I withdraw my 401K at retirement it would be taxed lower at my income tax bracket. For example, my federal tax...

View more questions Search